What's new

$4000 Maximum to spend on a projector. (1 Viewer)

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
Mits HC3000U
3,500.00 plus tax Canadian.
sharpest picture, bright high def picture, a little touchy to set up, but if you look, you'll see the best picture under 4,000.00
IF ?? you like Sharp high def digital look.
Panny ae900U is nice with a smoother softer look, very bright natural colors.
I like the digital high def look, so make sure you put this one on your list to look at.
Sanyo V4 Nice too.
Thats the top 3, in my opinion.

Optima has a 1080p HD81 .. 10,000.00 US , but will come down $ soon.
and that unit will leave your jaw on the floor, going out looking for a second job, or a second mortgage.
Thats the one I am waiting for...18mos it'll be 5-6k.

TommyW

Auditioning
Well I'm looking in the 4-5k range for a dlp projector. I will spend more though if something is in that range and but better.

Can someone recommend the best DLP projector around that 4 to 5 k range please.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I would definitely check into the new Optoma HD7100 and the Samsung H710AE. If I had the money to buy one right now, I'd buy the Samsung.

Oren Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Panny 900 $2200.00 prox with screen and cables, use the balance to upgrade speakers or electronics.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
He's asking for the best DLP projector up to $4,000, he said nothing about screen, cables or electronics. He can do better than the Pan. 900(which is a LCD) by the way.

Oren Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Screen, mounting (which I did not mention), and cables, add considerable cost to a projection system and deserve consideration. Will spending twice the money get twice the viewing quality? Why eliminate LCD? I have had an LCD for almost two years and am very pleased.

JohnnyZ

Grip
Must be a government agency if "Johnny Boom" is starting with budget first and not requirements. ;-)

The Sanyo Z4 is a nice deal for under $2000 and was compared in side by side reviews with DLP projectors in the 10K range - and won!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Johnny Boom,

As mentioned, have you considered the cables, screen, and other options that will add cost to your figure? Let us know as our suggestions may change.

I've just upgraded from an Infocus 4805 to the Samsung 710. I'm using a 92" screen and I sit about 11.5' away from it. I am very happy with the purchase, the colors are very good, it has a decent contrast ratio, and it is very good with dark scene details. I never understood what people have meant when they said "film-like" picture, until now. HD from OTA is amazing.

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
I think an improtant question is, "What features are you looking for"? At that price point you have a lot of choices of good projectors. One feature I like that gets overlooked is powered zoom. YOu can get it starting at about $3000. If you have at least 1.33X zoom you can go from 1.77:1 to 2.35:1 right on your remote. That is a really cool way to eliminate letterboxing.

Also don't get sucked in to the spec wars on contrast ratios. After a certain point you can't tell the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks