What's new

$4000 Budget on new projector please help! (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Hey folks it's been awhile since I've been active on the forum, but I figure my old HT family can help me better than anyone else can.

I just got an insurance settlement and I want to make a few upgrades, I'll start with the most important a new projector for the dedicated HT (will ask about tv's and receivers later).

I would like to get a 3D projector, but even with 4 grand, I don't know if that's possible.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Looking at Projector People, there's only one 1080p 3D ready projector (LG) and it's $15,000.

But there are quite a few 720p and 1280 X 800 for you.

Just wait until 3d flops, then they'll all be cheap.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
The JVC RS 50 would be a nice unit. They are just starting to ship. Price will be around $5800.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
JVC DLA-X3 MSRP (USD) : $4,495

Brightness (Lumens) : 1300 ANSI Contrast (Full On/Off) : 50000:1

Variable Iris: No

Audible Noise: 20.0 dB

Std. Lens: Focus: Power Zoom: Power, 2.00:1
Lens Shift: Horz & Vert

Warranty: 2 Years Performance:

3D Projector: 3D Ready

3D Glasses Type: Shutter Compatibility:

HDTV: 1080i, 1080p/60 EDTV/480p: Yes SDTV/480i: Yes

Component Video: Yes Video: Yes Digital Input: HDMI Computers: Yes

Display: Type: 0.7" D-ILA (3) Native: 1920x1080 Pixels Maximum:

Voltage: 100V - 240V FCC Class: ** Special: 3D Projection Status: Shipping First Ship: Nov 2010

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
ah...

Paul that is great. I did not know the lower end JVC did 3d ( I thought it was only the 50 and 60).

the x3 would be the same as the RS40, which should be easily available at the 4000 price point.

LaMarcus, this would be a mega huge upgrade for you from the 500 unit. (as in OMG huge).

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I did some research on this website and procetorcentral, etc, and found that there are a bunch of different things going on with 3D projectors. I was wondering what is the difference between the JVC x3 and RS40? They seem to be the same thing, but they are from two different series.

I also thought that the Panny 4000 would be a great upgrade, although it's not 3D, I read a article on HTF that said a device can be added for $299(?) to make it 3D. Also reviews on the Epson 8700 say that the black levels are astonishing, and I'm all about black levels but the 3D device is not compatible with it. So, whoa is me right now, don't know what route to take...

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I have a Epson 9500 UB (just ISFd by Abrams from Avical) shooting on a JKP Affinity Cinema Contour Dalite Screen w/..09 g.and couldn't be happier. I had a Mit 65711 CRT RPTV (x2 ISFed) and thought nothing could match the picture, I was wrong. The picture is excellent thru the PJ and using a good BD/SD upscaler will make your DVDs shine...BDs is a no brainer...rich blacks and colors...totally beautiful. $3500 PJ/$2300 screen.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
So do you fellas think the JVC X3 will look significantly better than the Panny 4000? (is that a silly question? lol) By the numbers the Panny and Epson 9500 are better in terms of black level. And I'm all about black level, when I first joined this forum many years ago I was indoctrinated with the philosophy of deeper blacks, and accurate colors were just a bonus. So I'm curious...

Not to mention those projectors are like $2500 cheaper then the X3 and when I told my woman how much I was going to spend on the X3 her reaction was ......

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You are this close, don't buy anything before seeing what comes out at CES! Many refreshes happened at CEDIA a few months back but still I'd wait to see...

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Normally there are no projectors announced at CES. It's always at Cedia.

Originally Posted by Sam Posten

You are this close, don't buy anything before seeing what comes out at CES! Many refreshes happened at CEDIA a few months back but still I'd wait to see...

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
To keep a happy home (or happy wife), I went ahead and bought the Panny 4000. I am totally satisfied with the purchase, going from the Panny 500 to the 4000 was like going from DVD to Blu-ray. It's freaking awesome I put Avatar in and almost lost it. I honestly don't see how spending $2000 more dollars was going to get me $2000 worth of better picture.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Enjoy!!

Your thoughts can be equated to any purchase....as the price increases, the returns lessen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks