What's new

$4000 budet for a 5/6.1 - advice? (1 Viewer)

Brandon D

Agent
Hey guys.

I posted here back right after christmas, but soon came to the conclusion that many of you lurk around here while at work ;)

Anyway. I'm building the Audio Side of my Home Theater and I have at the very most 4k to spend.

The shopping list as follows;

Speakers
Reciever
Sub (if I can swing it into my budget - if not I'll wait)
Stands (if necessary)
cables
Tax/Shipping and/or other charges

The audio side is mainly for HT, but I'm certain that I'll listen to music seeing I will now have a nice system, but right now I would say it's mainly HT.

I was thinking about buying 3 Pairs of Bookshelf speakers for a 6.1 setup. I tend to think that a seamless soundstange will be created more easily this way. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This will all be used in conjunction with a Front projector in a room about 12' x 12'. It's a smaller room, but it won't be that way forever - I would rather over buy a little bit because I won't be living in this apartment forever ;)

I look forward to your suggestions!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Hi there. I'm sure what everyone here would say first, especially regarding the speakers, is to go listen to anything you can before you buy and then to A/B comparisons of the ones you like. That being said, here's what I'd likely do with the budget (assuming using the 6 bookshelf speakers as you mentioned):

H/K AVR-430 - roughly $850
6 Klipsch RB-35s - roughly $1700 all together
SVS 20-39PC-Plus - $825 plus shipping

This comes to about $3475. That should leave room to account for cables, etc.

Please note that there are a lot of people who do not like the sound of Klipsch speakers. Klipsch is known for being very bright, but I would encourage you to find somewhere to listen to some if you can.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
In the new issue of Sound & Vision magazine is a review of a Paradigm Studio 40 combination with a sub for that price range. There are a lot of happy Paradigm owners here at the HTF, including myself. Happy shopping.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
H/K AVR-7200 ($900 + shipping)

AV123 Rocket Package 1 or 2 [depending on hi-rez interest and room layout] ($2250-2150 + shipping)

SVS 20-39 PCi or PB-1 ($600 + shipping)

I figure the shipping and cables would get you right around the $4k price point. IMHO, This would be a killer system that will certainly be more than you need for your current room and work great in a larger room too.

Brandon D

Agent
i was hoping to use bookshelfs all the way around as I'm primarily interested in HT. This way I can get better imaging and I don't need a tower for full range reproduction as I hope to incorporate 2 subs in the future.

I've been considering 3 pairs of Monitor Audio S1's. But, I'm not so sure. I want to be certain that my sound is enveloping and as close to ideal as possible.

I'm just trying to find some really nice bookshelfs that will work really hard to do this.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would go with something like 3 pairs of Swan's Diva 2.1s, a PB2-ISD sub, and a Pioneer Elite 53TX receiver for around $3k + SH. This would leave plenty of room for cables and stands and possibly some room treatments. Check the Swans out at www.theaudioinsider.com :)

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
Heard a 7.1 setup today at CES with Polk Lsi9's, and it had great imaging and depth. These speakers with the Hsu or SVS sub of choice (I have a VTF-3R, great sound and looks) would give you a dynamite HT...

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks