$4000.00 to spend

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Glenn Bowden, May 11, 2005.

1. Glenn Bowden

Glenn Bowden Auditioning

Yeah I'm a Newbie,
    I'll make $4000.00 teaching summer school. Looking for any help on how to make that stretch into a Home Theater for a Condo. The high school kids at Best Buy and Circuit City were no help. I have a Progressive scan DVD player already(Fisher brand I think), and I want surround sound and an HDTV (42in-50in since my couch is about 11 feet away from the wall). If I handed one of you guys 4K, what would you go out and buy? The 4k includes cables and wires and everything else I might need. If I spend $4000.01 my wife will divorce me.
    Thanks,
    Glenn
    [email protected]

2. John S

John S Producer

50" LCD Rear Projection (Panasonics seem to be going for some real good pricing these days, I still think Sony's are just a little better though)

And an Onkyo 770 system for the sound duties. Your DVD player may or may not be good in the modern scheme of things, it is a try it and see sort of thing.

Not sure where this thread should be moved too in the forums, as it is both audio and video related.

This is section is not meant for specific product reccomendations. It is meant for questions like "What is HDTV?" ect..ect...

Should be well under $4K though.

You should not just take reccomendations though, start searching for all you can learn about Surround and HDTV and current DVD technology before purchasing, so it can be an informed choice on what would truly be best for you.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Hi there, Glenn, and welcome to Home Theater Forum.

As John noted, this thread has been moved because you're asking for specific recommendations on what to buy with your $4,000. This is not a Basics-area question; the Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level.

Since you're asking for help in assembling a complete system, your thread has been moved to A/V Sources (which is where we stick such questions until a better solution comes up).

4. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Welcome Glenn.

Yeha, this is a really personal choice so it's hard to flat out tell you what to get. Some people like the lighter and brighter LCD sets, some people see the "screen door" effect on them and it drivers them nuts. There are pros and cons to ALL the HDTV types out there, your best bet is to read up on the pros/cons in these forums and then do some recon of your own. Figure out what you feel is important and whittle down your choices from there. It's actually easier to help someone find a DLP LCD 40-55" HDTV with 2 HDMI inputs and PIP, than to recommend the best HDTV for under $xxxx. What I consider awesome you might think is crap.

That being said, $4000 should be more than enough to get you everything you asked for above. But look at the research as a fun time, I can't tell you how many people here know exactly what they want to own but lack the $4000 to do it [​IMG] Enjoy it bud and we're here to help answer all the little questions along the way...

5. Glenn Bowden

Glenn Bowden Auditioning

Thanks. I finally figured out how to see the replies. I'm SO new to threads and posts. I'll keep my eyes locked on this site for hints.

Thansk again,

Glenn