What's new

$400 speaker set worth it? (1 Viewer)

iami

Grip
Real Name
Sean
looking for a companion to my Denon AVR-2807 receiver, and i dont want to brank the bank. Im looking into the Onkyo SKS-HT240 for $400. Do these speakers deliver where it counts (deep base, realistic sound, easy to discern voices, for all my dvds/blu-ray?). I have a modest size room, 12'x11'

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
That's a lot of receiver for $400 worth of speakers. Have you found any reviews? Do you like the way they look and feel? Seen them in person anywhere?

iami

Grip
Real Name
Sean
suggestions for a more fit receiver? im looking for quality video switching as well, so i hear the dennon is the best

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Just saying that the receiver is too nice for those speakers. They'll work, but how long will it take before you want to upgrade, and take a hit on depreciation?

If you can find them locally, buy and try. If you feel, after a good solid week, that they are less than you hoped, return them and look again.

As long as Velodyne offers them, I'll always say to look at -

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/pro...V&sid=768c601j

Add a decent sub and you're set.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Or, to put in another way...

Do you like how they sound? Have you heard them in person anywhere?

:)

I've heard that although the onkyo home theaters are decent, the speakers are the weakest link.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Seems there are a lot of positive reviews. Speakers are HIGHLY subjective. What I like, you may hate. And so on. Therefore, pick based on looks and features - what works for your application.

But if it were my money, I'd at least give the Velo's a shot. Why? I love small 2-ways and a good sub or two. It's not what I have now, but that's only because you tend to find used bargains and things change.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd say listen to them somewhere if you can, because any speakers that cheap probably aren't going to impress. Looking at the package, I would have to agree that they are not up to the same standard as that Denon.

Note also that they are $299 at www.JR.com

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
That Denon is a GREAT receiver!

Originally Posted by ColinM
That's a lot of receiver for $400 worth of speakers.

I'll agree though its enough too handle a much, much better system. I have the 2106 paired with the SVS SBS-01 system and we love it. For a receiver like that you need to do it justice with better speakers. Try any of the ID brands; SVS, Axiom, Aperion, Hsu, Ascend, av123, etc. For a 1k budget for a receiver spend at least 1k in speakers. The Onkyos aren't bad but they are going to fill little space and the bass may go down to 45hz which for movies is nothing. Save the 400 and put it towards something else.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Yep they are decent/great for what they are. But physics alone dictate the sound that will come out of little cubes. Paired with the Hsu stf-2 sub its a great little system. What are the dimentions of your room? Dimentions and room treatment are extremely important. The Hsu's in a 600sq ft tiled room will sound so bad you'll wonder where the cat fight is. Any HTiB or speaker combo that small will get lost in a large listening space. Another note would be that most HTiB from a big box store sound very "boomy" and are not very accurate. Is the SVS SBS-01 the best out there? Certainly not, I know there are better systems out there but for the money it really can't be beat especially if you buy it in b-stock and save a 100 bux. Whats the usage ie. mainly HT and/or music? I guess my question would be; Why on earth would you spend 1k for a receiver only to be paired with 400 speakers?!?! I don't get it. If its HDMI switching your looking for step down a few notches to a 2106 or similar Denon model and get a Monoprice HDMI switcher. Saves you quite a bit of money.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Oops just reread your op! Ok so it is a modest room size. You could try the Hsu Vetriquilist system but I would pair it with the STF-2. The STF-1 just doesn't have it in the bass department IMO. This would be a good starting point but once you start watching movies either from DVD's and Bluray and/or gaming you'll want better speakers down the road especially with that receiver. Then you know you've been bitten by the HT upgrade bug. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks