$400 Receiver Recomendations anybody?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DanielKellmii, Apr 16, 2004.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

A friend of mine has asked me for some advice of some HT gear. His total budget is about $1000.
    My recommended split:
    400 receiver
    400 speakers
    75 wire-- (100 feet from home depot should do him well, plus other sundries, banana plugs etc....)
    60-70 for taxes
    The remainder will go toward the speaker of receiver. If you disagree with me, that is fine.

He wants something that he won't have to upgrade for awhile. My first suggestion was that he go audition equipment, actually, I am repeating what Wayne A. Phifffffllesomethingthatistohardtoremember tells a lot of people. Right now he lives in a villa, so I figure that he will upgrade his speakers when he moves into a house a few years from now. I recommended the JBL SCS series. He can audition them locally. I would like him to check out something from HSU, but he might be reluctant to do the mail-order thing.
    But I digress.

For $400 the only specific receiver that I can recommend is the Onkyo601, but I think that 6.1 is going to get skipped over and 7.1 will end up winning the marketing wars. I think he should get a 7.1 system and be happy with that for a long time. Is there anything out there that is a 7.1 system for that price? I don't think so, but it is his money. As for brands, I told him to look at H/K, Dennon, Onkyo and Yamaha. Any other suggestions?

Let's have fun spending his money!!!

[​IMG]

2. TyreeS

TyreeS Agent

im looking at the Pioneer 914k

3. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

He could get a refurbed H/K 330 for $400, I found some on ebay.

4. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Harold, what kind of warranty came with the refurb?

5. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

The auction says a 1 year warranty but I bet H/K would honor the original warranty whatever it may be. I just sent you a PM with the links

6. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Daniel - YGM.