$400 (maybe $500) to spend on Receiver...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JeremyR, Jul 27, 2005.

1. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    So.. I'm going to ask the annoying famous question... which one should I buy and convince me why? :)

Equipment it will be powering..

Paradigms:

Titan's v3 mains
    CC-170 center
    Atoms v3 surrounds

JBL E250 12-inch sub

I don't have any particular affinity to any one brand. It will be replacing a Kenwood VR-507 that is having some intermittent remote problems. I also feel like maybe my Kenwood gets kind of strained sounding after the volume knob goes beyond 50% or so.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I bought an HK 325 from harmanaudio.com, refurb., $350 shipped.

My 110 lasted 4.5 years without a hitch, and will be here for a spare unless it sells. Power = great. Sound = fantastic. Remote = very good. Does it do everything I want it to? No, I wish it upconverted to component, but so what.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Pioneer 1015TX should be right in your price range and have enough features that you didn't even know you needed. Soundwise, should be fine for those speakers.

4. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for H/K, get the best refurb you can afford, you may not get all the bells and whistles the pioneer offers but you'll get a better amp, cleaner sound and and all around higher quality reciever.

5. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    I have to admit, I'm a bit afraid of the H/K's anymore. There certainly seem to be a gob of factory refurbished models available anymore. I suppose the engineering of them might be superior to the Pioneer, but I would have to wonder if the quality and quality control is really better.

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Refurbs are overproduction returns from retail, too. Lots of reasons. They've been built once and tested twice, with the full warranty, 2 years vs. the typical one year.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you're going to look refurb, check out www.ac4l.com and look at the Marantz 5400. They're offering a 10% discount on all Marantz refurb/b-stock right now.

8. Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri Stunt Coordinator

I will also recommend a HK model. I've had a modest AVR125 for 3 years and it has served me very well. And just today I was able to bid on a harmanaudio.com sale on ebay. I didn't get the highest bid, but was given a "second chance buy it now" at my max bid, which was $40 lower than what the final closing bid was. So now I have a nice refurb 330 coming for a sweet, sweet price (way lower than what I paid for the 125 new 3 years ago).

The harmanaudio.com store on ebay seems to have a lot more models than the harmanaudio.com website as well. Deals are better too.

I'm very pleased. This is my first ebay purchase, and I got a great bargain.

I also have a pair of Infinity speakers I'm hoping to get. They are from the same line as my 5 mains, circa 1995, so they're matched -- but are better than my left/right mains. If I can get these, it will make a nice upgrade to my HT.

All this on top of a new sub (Acoustech H100) about 6 weeks ago, new speaker wire runs, Avia and an SPL meter. Not too bad, if I do say so myself...

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Brian,

I'm with you on the circa (mid-late 90s) Infinity speakers. I have the following in my collection:

- 1 PR RS-1 speakers w/5.25" woofers from 1999
    - 1 PR RS2000.2 speakers w/6.5" woofers from 1997.

The RS2000.2s I picked up off of Ebay last weekend for $26 - for the pair. Heck, the shipping @ $29.00 was more than the cost of the speakers. However, they sound wonderful. I wish I could get a pair of new Beta 20s in the house to A/B them agains these older Infinities to see how good they truly are.

10. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator

Some people will call me dumb for recommending a sony, but I have a Sony STR DE-995 that I bought for 260 floor model at K's merchandise and it's sounds great. The only downsides to it I've seen is that there's no subwoofer crossover(but most subs have a crossover anyways) and it doesn't have pre-outs.

11. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

12. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

- It has a crossover, probably fixed at 100 Hz.
    - It only becomes an issue if one wants to cross their sub/speakers over at a lower point.
    - The built-in subwoofer crossover on the sub itself, should not be used as you'd suggest. If you set it to 80Hz, and your receiver was fixed at 100Hz, there would be a gap between 80Hz and 100Hz.

13. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    Interesting....

Sounds like the Panasonic would probably be able to drive larger Paradigm's when I decide to upgrade. I think I remember seeing these at Circuit City so I can go check them out. I wonder what they'd do if I brought my Paradigm speakers in and listened to them at Circuit City hooked up to the Panasonic's and then compare them to the H/K's in their store. And the dealer I bought my Paradigm's has Marantz so I could go check them out. I was leaning toward an offering from Yamaha, but glad I asked and will explore these other options.

14. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
  15. R:o:b

R:o:b Agent

ive had the h/k avr320 for 3 years now, still runs perfect! go with h/k