What's new

$400 DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Eric M L

Grip
I've got a buddy in the market for a DVD player (his first). He's planning on spending his tax rebate check, plus a little more, so his budget is maxed out at about $400. He recently bought a non-XBR 36" Sony Wega (so it doesn't do the squeeze). His audio system is also lacking (read: non-existent, but he's working on it with a little help from me:bg :).
So anyway, it'll be a while before he gets HDTV, so progressive scan isn't necessary. What's the best player he can get for $400?
His cousin already recommended the Tosh SD-6200. Any other suggestions or pros/cons for the Tosh?
Thanks

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I would advise VERY STRONGLY against buying a Toshiba DVD player for a display that is not anamorphic capable. The downconversion for 4:3 displays is atrocious.
I just got a discontinued http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=800&Product_Id=792486&Sort=Current_Price). I would not hesitate to recommend it. The build quality is amazing (it weighs in at 19 lbs). Onboard decoders for DD, DTS, and DVD-Audio could save a lot of money on a receiver in the future. (however, MAKE SURE THE RECEIVER CAN DO BASS MANAGEMENT ON THE 5.1 INS!!!) The downconversion is good not great. Like all Panasonic players there's no MPEG chroma bug. The audio quality is extremely impressive.
If I were buying a new DVD player today and progressive scan was not a major concern, that's the player I'd buy. Wait.... I just did!! :)
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Other than the -12 and -13 series WEGAs, I think all of them do the squeeze, not just the XBRs. Only difference is that on the -16 & -17 models, you have to select it manually from the menu (-26 & -27 can be set to do it automatically).
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

tell your buddy to scrape up the additional $50-75$ and get the Panasonic DVD-RP91. you can't go wrong with that one. I got mine about 2 weeks ago and am enjoying it more every night. $466 delivered from etronics, double-boxed. i have a non-HD RPTV, so the progressive is not a use for me, but, the DVD-audio is wonderful. spent two hours last night listening to Metallica Black in 5.1 "Enhanced Resolution".
good luck!
sdg
------------------

Darryl_B

Stunt Coordinator
Eric, your buddy will currently not be able to take advantage of most of the valuable features offered by the RP91 nor the Toshiba 6200. My suggestion is to go cheap for now and pick up a Panasonic RV31 player (just under $200).
If he choses to get an a/v receiver in the near future, it will more than likely have built-in DD/DTS decoding (this can be had for under $250 today). When he decides to upgrade to a digital TV set, then there will probably be better options for a progressive-scan player than what is available today as well.

Eric M L

Grip
Well, I have him double checking the model of his Wega, but in the mean time, I recommended either the Sony DVP-S360 or Pioneer DV-333. They're both around $200 and both have component outputs. I tried to get him to give me the $200 I'm saving him, but he wouldn't go for it.
wink.gif

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Eric, both Sony and Pioneer have the newer models out as well. Sony has the NS300 I believe and Pioneer has the 343. At that same price point, you can look at the Toshiba SD2700 and the Panasonic RV31 I believe. I have a 2700...it works fine but if MP3 capability is a must then better look elsewhere. The SD2715 - which is a 5 disc changer - supports MP3s I believe. If I recall, I don't believe the entry level Sony supported MP3s either.
good luck,
--tom

Will Ernst

Agent
As far as the TV goes, I have the 32" - KV32FS12, and it does the squeeze via the menu. It was the selling point for this set. If he has an older Wega, it may only be possible through the service menu, yuck. Definitely check, it's a great feature.
-will

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry, I think it was the 27" that don't all do the squeeze, but ALL of the 32 and 36" ones do.
If you are recommending Sony, I would spend a few more $$ and get an S560D. It has every current option you can think of (built in decoding, 5.1 out, optical & coaxial dig, s-vid, component vid) and is only about $30 more than the 360.
On the new models of Sony - the entry level one does not do MP3 OR CDR/W.
[Edited last by John Garcia on August 02, 2001 at 10:18 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks