$400 Dolby Pro Logic II receiver with JBL NSP1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arsene, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Arsene

Arsene Auditioning

I plan to get JBL NSP1 speakers with a Sony SA-WM40 or AudioSource SW15 subwoofer.

I plan on getting a $400 DD/DTS/Dolby Pro Logic II receiver that would work great with those speakers for HT and Music. Any recommandations on Onkyo TX-DS595 (mixed reviews) vs. Denon AVR-1802 vs Yamaha (which model ???)?

2. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

I have an Onkyo 595 receiver and have been very happy with it so far. I have it hooked up to JBL speakers (S312/S36/S-Center) and the system sounds great. The only flaw is the audio dropouts issue with Jurassic Park 3/Pearl harbor/Atlantis discs in the DD 5.1 mode, but the problem seems to be isolated for now.
    I had a tough time deciding between the Onkyo 595 and the Denon 1802 (another great receiver)... they both sounded way better than other

3. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

the yamaha 5460 or its brother which ihave, rx-v620 are great receivers but they do not have dpl2. yamaha is a bright receiver for music but not as much as there reputation has brought with them. i actaully like a bright sound. (as long as good lows accompanies it) great quality stuff. i am not too familiar with onkyo although i have heard a few and they also had a good bright sound (with my ears at least. the denon 1802 is a great receiver. good clean power and it has dpl2. if you need a receiver now than i would get the denon. if you wait a month or two the new line of yamahas are coming out and the offer dpl2 most have six channels. i think the msrp. on the yamaha rx-v630 i think is 499$ and the rx-v530 is 399$. there is a thread on the forum somewhere which explains options that these receivers have. i think the 630 has 6 channels and the 530 has five, but i am not positive on that one. the new yamahas like the 1200 and 2200 do not sound nearly as bright as they used to. maybe the new line will follow suit. best of luck to you.