What's new

40 years of James Bond Movies (1 Viewer)

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the *original* introduction of Pussy was:
PUSSY: I'm Pussy Galore
CONNERY: I know you are, but what is your name
But it was changed in the film as it was deemed too naughty. I prefer the original line :D

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Pierce Brosnan - Probably the Bond we should have gotten instead of Dalton, but Remmington Steele wouldn't let him go.
ironically, I've always thought that the additional years did us a favour, Brosnan looked better for the part with the additional 10 years; I didn't watch Remington Steele, but caught a few re-runs recently, and IMHO Brosnan was "too young" and just didn't look the part, whereas he's looked spot-on in the recent Bonds.

again, ironically, because he started "late", his shelf-life as Bond is also running out soon, I thought in the latest he was just starting to show his age a little bit, he'll probably still be fine for Die Another Day, but if he does another one 3 years later... A View To A Kill, anyone?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
again, ironically, because he started "late", his shelf-life as Bond is also running out soon, I thought in the latest he was just starting to show his age a little bit, he'll probably still be fine for Die Another Day, but if he does another one 3 years later... A View To A Kill, anyone?
Actually, I liked parts of "A View To A Kill", Tanya Roberts not withstanding...

Brosnan has already talked about hanging it up soon, maybe after this one. It does sound like he's been somewhat disappointed in the direction his films have taken.

Course, this starts the next step of this thread: Who do you think would make a pretty good Bond. My vote is for Clive Owen. He's got some quiet confidence about him.

Jason

GregoryM

Agent
In one interview, Brosnan said he'll do one more after the current one, but after that he hasn't made any decision. Bowing out after five sounds like a good idea to me, as six years from now he will be getting a little long in the tooth.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
it might have been possible that the Bond franchise wouldn't have died off at the end of the 80s with Brosnan at the helm
I thought the Bond franchise stalled because of the lawsuits by MGM and Sony/Kevin McClory? and by the time MGM and Sony settled, Dalton's contract had expired and he'd lost interest, allowing Eon to hire Brosnan. and I thought Cubby was still alive at the time of Goldeneye?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Really interesting analysis, David!

I don't have much to add, but as long as people are doing top 5/ bottom 5 lists. . .

Top:

Goldfinger
You Only Live Twice
From Russia With Love
Dr. No
Maybe OHMSS. . .I haven't watched it in a very long time.

Bottom:

Licence To Kill (utter, utter garbage. To quote Kuni, sooooooo stupid!)
Goldeneye (also dumb. Fantastic video game though!)
Moonraker
Man With The Golden Gun
I'm getting wishy-washy again. . .probably Live & Let Die.

Connery's obviously my favorite bond (for the record, I was born in '71), and Moore is probably my least favorite.

A View To A Kill is definitely a guilty pleasure. I agree that Clive Owen would make an interesting Bond.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Clive Owen would make a good Bond--he's impressive as an assasin in THE BOURNE IDENTITY--might he might be too recessive and "Dalton-ish" for consideration. Not that I didn't like Dalton.

I'd like to see Christian Bale (AMERICAN PSYCHO, the upcoming sci-fi actioner REIGN OF FIRE, and of course EMPIRE OF THE SUN when he was a kid) take a shot at it. He's a good actor and has the right "look" for the part, and he's been mooted for it in the press. [Plus he sort of resembles James Brolin, who was considered for the part years ago.]

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Some guy in TV guide said a couple of years ago that Denzel Washington would be a good Bond.
Believe it or not, I actually think he would be good at it. He certainly has the physique, and has proven that he was not always an angel.
Whaddaya think?
--
Holadem

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Not British, though I think he has played English before.

Thinking out of the box, how 'bout Chow Yun Fat?

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!! Absolutely no American actor should ever be cast as Bond. I realize that Burt Reynolds was considered in the early 70's and James Brolin did a screen test with Maud Adams for OCTOPUSSY (before Roger Moore signed on at the last minute), but I would hope that common sense and Cubby Broccoli himself would step in (before he passed away that is) and say "NOPE"! As far as I'm concerned, why should the producers, EON and Danjaq bother considering an American when there are plenty of great established and/or up and coming younger English, British or Scottish based actors that will be ready & able by the time Mr. Brosnan bows out.
Here's a list of some great possibilities IMO:
1. Jude Law, yes he's a little young now, but by the time Brosnan retires, he'll be ready.
2. Jeremy Northam
3. Clive Owen, who has already been mentioned and whom I also agree with
4. Adrian Paul
5. Ewan McGregor, why not have another Scot in the role? There again, he would be old enough by the time Brosnan leaves.
6. Colin Ferrall
I am open to other suggestions that I may have missed, of course.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Thanks for mentioning Jeremy Northam, who I think would make a good Bond adversary, if not Bond himself. He's an actor who missed his decades, I think; based on his superb work in films like GOSFORD PARK, THE WINSLOW BOY, and ENIGMA, all period pieces, I suspect he would've been a big star in the 30s and 40s. He just has that look and manner, as if he walked out of a Turner Classic Movie.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
My top 5:
1. For Your Eyes Only
2. The Living Daylights
3. Octopussy
4. The Spy Who Loved Me
5. Goldeneye

Dan Huey

Agent
Great thread! Here's my top 5.

1.OHMSS
2.Octopussy
3.World Is Not Enough
4.Thunderball
5.Goldfinger

While I liked Tomorrow Never Dies very much, it had almost too much action for my tastes. I prefer TWINE because of the drama inherent in the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks