40 Years Ago

Discussion in 'Music' started by John Watson, Feb 6, 2004.

1. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

It was 40 YEARS AGO tomorrow? when the Beatles landed in North America.

I was one of those kids watching Ed Sullivan.

It'll be an all-Beatles radio-show on Saturday and Sunday morning on the station we listen to.

And maybe I'll run the video-tape of COMPLEAT BEATLES that my brother returned to me a few months ago, and see if it still plays. [​IMG]

Anyone else got Beatle Plans?

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

If I had anything to play back reel-to-reel tapes, I could get out the one I made on my father's Webcor and listen to the sceaming.
    JFK's funeral is on the same reel.

Jim

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I was 15 years old when the Beatles appeared on Ed Sullivan and watched the show along with the other 70 million Americans. I will be rewatching that show lon DVD this weekend, plus the Beatles First U.S. Visit.

4. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I was just 6, but it's one of my earliest memories. I'll be watching that first show Monday night (the original broadcast was 2/9/64).

5. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

For anybody that has XM Radio, they have a number of Beatles related programs in February. Details are on the "Beatlemania" page of their website. I've heard portions of "The Beatles Story", and it seems pretty interesting in most places. They also have 24 hours of nothing but Beatles music beginning tonight (Friday) at midnight on the 60's channel, and a 26-hour BBC special "The Beatles: A to Zed" beginning at 6 AM on February 26.

Leave it to XM to provide such a comprehensive musical celebration!

Steve K.

Steve K.

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

It's hard to believe it's been that long ago. What a great band they were. I was born in '66, but my mom used to tell me stories about the hysteria they created. She tried so hard to convince her dad to let her and her sister fly to NY from AZ--it didn't happen.

I got a glimpse of what it was like for her seeing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show(she was 15 at the time)when I took her to a Paul McCartney show in the early '90s. She turned back into a teenager for a couple of hours that night. It was priceless.[​IMG]

DJ

7. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Some great memories this weekend!

The station we listen to has been playing a lot of Beatle covers as well as Beatle performances. A few minutes ago, they played a recording of "That'll Be the Day", by the Quarrymen, from 1958. Don't think I ever heard that one before, but John Lennon's teenage voice was quite recognizable.

And the dj mentioned that the 3 February was the anniversary 45 years ago of Buddy Holly's death, so it was quite appropriate.

8. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

Pretty much everyday is a Beatles day around my place. It's fun to have everyone else joining in for a change[​IMG]

9. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

For those of you watching the Ed Sullivan show DVD of the 2/9/64 show, check out the next segment. A young Davy Jones, later of the Monkees, appears with the cast from the broadway play, Oliver.