40" or larger tube, RPTV, or plasma advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Garrett-Wallace, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Garrett-Wallace

Garrett-Wallace Auditioning

I just bought a new home and am looking to purchase a TV. These days with all the gadgets and gizmos I'm completely confused. I'm looking for a 40" tube, RPTV or plasma. I'm looking to spend $5000 or less. The room I'm looking to put this TV in is exposed to quite a bit of sunlight. I'm not necessarily interested in the "best deal". I would prefer the best options and something that I don't have to pay for someone to come out and upgrade. I want a QUALITY set.

2. Garrett-Wallace

Garrett-Wallace Auditioning

I'm just looking for some advice on what you think is the route to go for 40" and larger. I just returned from shopping and liked the Sony 40" tube, but for $2800 I think I need bigger. I also liked the new 50" Sony LCD Wega, $4000. The salesperson said Sony makes the same TV in 60" for $5000.

Please, whatever advice on make, model, etc would be great. Tell me what you like or don't like about your TV or about the ones I mentioned above.

3. KevinFC

KevinFC Stunt Coordinator

Garrett,

First off is this your main TV? If it is IMO don't go for a plasma. In my house my wife watches tv and the kids and the tv is always on because of this. They are rated at 25,000 hours and at 11 hours a day that is about 5 1/2 years plus all the stores I have been to only have a 1 year warranty. I have a 32 sony wega and I am up grading it after christmas. But your budget is bigger then mine so this is what I suggest you look into.
    Sony-KP57WS500 or KP65WS500
    Toshiba-57H82 or 65H82
    Panasonic-PT53WX42
    Mitsu-WSA65 or WS455
    JVC-AV48WP30 (it has a DVI in)

I am looking at the JVC myself and a couple of the Panasonics. If you want really high end stuff look at Ultimate Eletronics.

4. Gregory Scott Bass

Gregory Scott Bass Stunt Coordinator

I totally agree with your plasma assessment Kevin....people who buy them for a regular tv and have viewing habits like ours are going to be mad as hell in about 5 years. they should put a big sign on them that says for limited use only lol
    now if they would just annouce a 40" widescreen tube set I would be a happy camper....

5. KevinFC

KevinFC Stunt Coordinator

I was at Circuit City 2 nights ago and I seen a 36" wide scren and I think a 38". Check them out, but I think they were RCA and Zenith that made them.[​IMG] Well you take the good with the bad I suppose.

6. Gary_Sc

Gary_Sc Agent

Guys,

A little clarification.

The current Panasonic plasmas are rated at 30,000 hours. This is a brightness "half-life" not the life of the plasma. That means that the plasma will lose half its brightness after 30,000 hours. At 11 hours a day that is 7.5 years. But a calibrated plasma is about twice as bright as a calibrated RPTV. So even after 30,000 hours it will still produce a brighter picture than a RPTV with the same number of hours.

The CRT's in a RPTV do not last forever. I don't know the figures for the CRT's in a RPTV but in a CRT front projector most are rated at 10,000 - 12,000 hours.

7. Rich H

Rich H Second Unit

Glad someone posted some proper info on plasma life. The top plasma makers - Panasonic, Fujitsu, Pioneer - now rate
    the life of their plasmas to be comensurate with the life of a CRT-based display.

So don't let old information hold you back on that count.

I have a 42" Panasonic plasma and, for viewing DVDs and TV, I have not seen a better image at that size (certainly not the Sony XBR). My wife loves it and it amazes me every time I sit down to watch anything. It's probably the most satisfiying electronics purchase I've made.

(When it comes time to replace it, down the road, plasmas or other flat-screens will be significantly cheaper, too - I don't see how ya loose).

Rich H

8. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I was at the local electronics / appliance store today, and they had a Philips 42" Plasma display showing Star Wars Episode 2... WOW!! One of the cleanest, brightest, sharpest images I've ever seen (maybe too sharp, as you could see pixels now and then, hehe [​IMG])... too bad it was $7000... I plan on getting a projector in a few years for DVD watching (to replace my 27" panasonic...) but if Plasma comes down in price, I might just get one as my primary TV, and secondary DVD viewing TV.
    Brian

9. Rich H

Rich H Second Unit

I hear ya Brian.

I just had a photographer friend over to watch some DVDs.
    He was so impressed, he said it was "life-changing."
    I guess he's gonna start saving up...

Rich.