40" LCD -- Samsung or Sony?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Michael Douglas, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Michael Douglas

Michael Douglas Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to decide between the Sony Bravia (KDL-V40XBR1) or a Samsung (LN-R408D). Anyone own any of these that can tell me about them? Or have opinions of either item, or other options for 40"? Thanks.

2. Mike Gillgannon

Mike Gillgannon Auditioning

I've had the Sony model you speak of since Christmas and can highly recommend it. It seems to have overcome the usual sore points for LCD -- black level, ghosting because of slow response time, and restricted viewing angle. None of those have been an issue. And the picture is outstanding. There are three picture modes -- vivid, standard and custom -- and each is adjustable. In fact they're adjustable on every input. In other words you could have "custom" on every input and each one could be different. Only thing lacking is two HDMI inputs (there is only one). For standard broadcasts, they've done a pretty good job with the stretch modes, although some people can't abide any stretching at all, I know. Wide Zoom fills the screen but the distortion is greater on the edges than in the middle. I use this quite a bit. Just plain Zoom works on some material too. There's no distortion but the top and bottom are cut off.

I know nothing about the Samsung.

3. Michael Douglas

Is stretch mode unavoidable for 4:3?

These two models seem to be the only ones I can find at the stores in my area (and the JVC is out of the question). The reviews for both have been pretty inconsistant, but I guess that's to be expected on the internet where people will either love it or hate it. There's a slightly newer Samsung (409D), but I can't find it anywhere.

4. Mike Gillgannon

quote: Is stretch mode unavoidable for 4:3?

You don't have to use it. Pillarboxing is the result of course.

5. Michael Douglas

Do you know anything about Sony's upcoming S-Series LCDs? They're actually cheaper than the current XBR, so that makes me wonder.

6. Mike Gillgannon

There's always something upcoming, isn't there? It's exciting and depressing at the same time. Hopefully, I'm set for a few years.