40-50" 4:3 RPTV with built-in 16x9 mode?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Robinson, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson Stunt Coordinator

Greg R
    Hi everyone. I'm looking for suggestions on a nice (but smallish) 4:3 RPTV with a built in 16x9 mode (squeze mode). My wife and I still do a lot of cable TV watching so a 16x9 set may be premature still. We do also watch a bunch of DVDs, but since it's a small room - I think a 4:3 will still give us a nice size image. Right now we have a 4-year old Sony 32" direct-view set. Suggestions?

Is the built-in 16x9 or squeeze mode for anamorphic sources a NEW feature for this (and last?) model year? - or if not, how far back was it available? I ask because I'm not opposed to buying a used set since I'll be calibrating whatever I purchase. THANKS!!

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Many newer direct views now accommodate this important feature. Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic (off the top of my head) all have sets across different size and price ranges with vertical compression (or 16:9 mode). I think this feature has been quite common for the last couple of generations.

3. Greg Robinson

Greg R
    thanks jay. my sister-in-law just purchased a 32" sony flat screen and i believe it has the vertical compression mode. However, part of my reason for wanting a crt RPTV is that I am trying become savvy with calibrating and I'm looking for a good guinea pig set to practice on. I'll be attending the ISF certification seminar next month and I know I'll want to explore things further when I return. Therefore, let the shopping begin... [​IMG]

4. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if you consider a 43" TV smallish (some people definitely would), but I have the Sony 43HT20, which is Sony's 43" HDTV-ready RPTV. It's a great TV and I love it for cable and DVD's. It has the 16:9 squeeze mode, which works great with anamorphic DVD's. I'd say that if you are deciding between a 32/36" TV and a bigger TV, go bigger. The minimum viewing distance for the 43HT20 is 5 feet, so if you have at least that much room, go for the 43". Partcularly with letterboxed DVD's, the extra size really helps.

5. Greg Robinson

Greg R
    thanks Jeffrey. that's actually the Sony I'm most interested in. Sounds like a sweet set and I think it would be the perfect size for my room. From eyes to screen, I have about 7-8' to work with. Did you compare many other sets that size before buying? Have you read any reviews on this set you can point me towards? Thanks again!

6. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Greg,
    you considered the Panny 47" 16x9 at all? Ive heard stories of people getting it for $1500. I saw it at Best Buy last week for $1800. Its not 4x3 but it looks real sweet [​IMG]

7. Greg Robinson

Greg R
    thanks for the tip Gregg. I'm sort of torn here - I'd say my wife and I have a 50/50 split in viewing material - movies and cable TV. We have DirecTV but I use the local cable company for the local channels. I'm hesitant to go 16x9 only because I'm afraid of burn-in and I hate those grey bars when watching 4x3 cable TV. Oh the decisions...

I just checked SEARS.com and they're having a 3 day sale with 10-15% off everything. I can get the KP-43HT20 Sony for $1962 including the matching stand, out the door. No tax (NH). Tempted !!! The price on the TV itself is $1799 (during this sale) - can it be found cheaper online? Let me know so I can print the page and attempt a price match. Thanks!!

8. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Did I mention it looks sweet ?? [​IMG]

9. Michael St. Clair

10. Jeffrey R

I really only looked closely at the 43HT20. Since I bought it back in September, I've seen the Toshiba 4:3 43" HDTV(the 43H71 I think), and it looked really nice as well. I was swayed by the raves that the 43T75 (the non-HD predecessor to the 43HT20) got, and I also loved the picture on the 43HT20, so I went with it. The line-doubler can introduce artifacting depending on the cable source, but with my fiber-optic cable, the picture really is excellent. And with DVD's the picutre is outstanding. PS2 looks great too. I bought it for $1850 plus tax, not including the stand back in September, but it can be found for much cheaper today. So, you might want to take a look at the Toshiba 43", but you can't go wrong either way.

11. Greg Robinson

Greg R
    I realized there is an important question I'm not asking. Is there a 40-something" 16x9 RPTV that has a mode to fill the entire screen with 4:3 material that is not grossly distorting or distracting? My friend has a 65" Mits from 3 years ago and it only has 3 modes and aside from the standard mode (grey bars) - i find it unwatchable for stuff like Friends and ER. Are there some creative new methods in newer models that make 4:3 on a 16:9 more palattable? If not, that Sony is still sounding like a winner...

12. Michael St. Clair

13. EarlR

EarlR Stunt Coordinator

Check out the new Toshiba 43HX71. This is a great set for anyone wanting a smaller size set that does the 16:9 squeeze. I just bought one of these for my sunroom and it does a great job. I looked at the Sony but thought the Toshiba had a better picture.

Earl

14. Greg Robinson

Greg R
    thanks Earl - I am now in fact considering both the Sony and the Toshiba. I did a search and found a few older threads but nothing too comprehensive comparing the two sets. Are there any mag reviews of these sets yet? is there anything one does that the other cannot? thanks!

15. Wayne Keller

Wayne Keller Auditioning

This is for Jeffrey R...

Have you removed the protective screen from your 43HT20? I'm consdering this and I want to know how. Thanks.

16. Jeffrey R

I have not removed the protective screen from the 43HT20. I can understand why you might want to, as the glare can get pretty bad in a bright room. I haven't done it for a couple of reasons: I'm only at home during the day on weekends and I just keep the blinds shut if I want to watch tv, I don't want to screw up the tv as I have heard that removing the screens can be tricky, and I have also heard that some people like the picture better with the screen on (deeper blacks, richer colors, so on). And obviously, the screen is protection from anything coming in contact with the front of the tv. So, mine is staying on.

I know that there are instructions around on the web on how to remove the protective screen, but I'm not sure where.

17. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

The Sony T20 is a fine set - I have the 43 inch T90 and liked the look of the T20 but I was over the edge of my budget envelope anyway and thought the T90 was a great looking set anyway.

It'll look even better with the down conversion that will need to be done in 4 years so I'm not to worried about pitcher quality in the future. The 480p sure looks mighty fine though.

Couple things to compare

Sony 130 degree Viewing Angle

Toshiba 160 degree