What's new

4 year old RCA CRT makes "pop" discharge-like noise (1 Viewer)

Zach Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,
My 27-inch RCA Flat Screen has begun exhibiting problems. Occasionally, when on, the television will make an electrical "pop" sound while simultaneously visually popping a type of "electrical interference line" on the screen. This issue lasts all of about a half second, but its frequency is beginning to increase. I've tried searching for this issue on Google but to no avail. I suspect it may have something to do with the power supply or the tube itself. Does anyone here have a clear answer to this mysterious problem?

FYI: Here is my television in case it helps:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-F27TF720-T.../dp/B00006JBKG

RCA no longer seems to have it on their own website.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
My CRT RPTV was doing this exact thing - only it was throwing off my convergence too. But, the popping has gone away (for now anyway).

The problem is probably arching which you're experiencing - which can go away on its own, or get worse as you're experiencing. It can require tube replacement depending on the case.

howitzer

Auditioning
Real Name
Howard
Open it up and blow the dust off of the HIV transformer and yoke with an air compressor. If that doesn't solve the problem, junk it.

Zach Foster

Stunt Coordinator

It's a fairly loud electrical pop. Can someone please explain arcing to me, and what I could possibly do about it?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

HV lead arcing is probably the main thing that is likely to cause a loud electrical pop type noise. Make sure your TV is turned off and unplugged for a while and consider cleaning off the HV leads they are likely coated with grime. This requires opening the TV, which is not recommended. Serious harm or death can result, the HV leads are very high voltage you don't want that arc hitting you.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I agree with Chris. A CRT (the picture tube for the set) will act as a large capacitor (a device that holds a charge and then discharges it). The HV plug into the CRT is at the top of the tube. It has to be discharged even after unplugging your set. I wouldn't recommend this if you don't know what you are doing.

I also agree with others here that it sounds like your CRT tube is on its way out and you way just want to look at getting a new one to replace it with. This will probably cost you a lot less in the end. You can continue to use it until it goes out altogether or take it into a shop and have them blow out the set and clean it up for you.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Although the thing is if it's just dirt and grime on the HV leads or the HV block etc that are causing the arcing it could be a simple cleaning could resolve the problem, assuming the arc hasn't nuked any circuit boards. If that's the case it is not worth ditching the set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks