What's new

4 Tumults 4K watts? (1 Viewer)

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
I just won a settlement and have around $8000 i'd like to invest in just the sub woofer area. I have had subs in the past currently running 2 SVS 25-31 CS+'s (living room) and dual sonotubes with 2 Tempests in each running off of 2400 watts(HT room). I want something that is going to stick out and blow away anything I ever heard in house. What about 4 Tumults with around 4000 watts (1000 each) each sub in a 5 cubic feet box tuned to 18 Hz with 35 square inches of vent (say, 17.5" by 2") 51" long. I haven't really dwelled in the area of PR and am confused as to how to tune them. They do take the place of a port correct? Anyway suggestions needed along with a nice earthquake insurance company. ;)

RichardHOS

Second Unit
Well, that would probably do the trick. Before going too much further... have you ruled Infinite Baffle out as a candidate? If your room/house is able to accomodate such an installation, it would certainly be capable of blowing away anything you or 99.999% of the population has ever heard.

minhG

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, go IB, will be cheaper and bigger impact. what's your house made out of? concrete? that many subwoofers will require earthquake insurance for your neighbors...

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I agree with the cheaper and cleaner but the louder is debatable....

Joel,
Check out the links given above. IB's give wonderful sound quality and take up little to no space if you have the layout that can accomodate an IB. They also take much less power than a conventional "boxed" subwoofer.
If you cannot do an IB then your original box design sounds pretty solid and should give you everything you had hoped for and more;)

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
And what exactly did he say his venue was, again? Auditorium? Warehouse? Cathedral? Stadium?

Any normal home listening environment needing 8 tumults means that the user either 1) listens to test tones for the thrill of cracking plaster, 2) watches movies at ridiculous levels (way beyond reference), or 3) has the sub(s) calibrated at least 10dB hot.

Perfect :emoji_thumbsup:

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator

Well, I guess it depends what you are talking about. Four ported Tumults will be louder than four Tumults in an IB. What I was trying to get across (though not very clearly) was for the same cost you could make an IB with different drivers that would be louder than four ported Tumults with 4000W. Though I'm not sure its a good idea to make something louder than four ported Tumults, structural damage and such.

Of course, not everyone has the option, or desire, to cut a hole in the structure of their home for an IB. Personally, I think it builds character.:D

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Wait, does he have $8,000?

Why doesn't he spend $5,000 to have Adire Audio make him a custom Parthenon Driver, then spend $3,000 on amplification.

Only one subwoofer to worry about in a box if he doesn't want to go IB.

Or he could go for something like 16 tempests in an IB configuration and save some money on the drivers. lol

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i kinda like the idea of 4 Selenium 18SW1P an 18 inch driver with an SPL of 97 db W/m, looks killer in an 8 cuft box with 3 four inch ports about 6 inches long, it doesn't go low but hell at 127 db and an F3 of 35hz you room gain will make up the rest.

And you can almost get two of them for one tumult, not sure how they will deal with an IB set up cause of the small xmax but damn, even with that 250 watt PE amp you will be past 120 db. It wont hit 15 hz with authority but it will knock you over.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm taking some of these recommendations into account and may try the IB route for the hell of it. Doesn't really look hard at all...the sub installation looks as easy as a sealed box. Cutting into the HT room will be the hardest part. A couple of other questions:

Are there any drivers that surpass the tumult for an IB setup? If so what are they? No more then $500 each.

What kind of SPL reading can I expect with a well built IB setup with 4 Tumults and 4k of power?

Should I think about 18 inch drivers instead of the 15?

16 Tempests would be nice I only need to buy 12 more. I would like to put more the 250 into each driver though.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Latest Jeopardy quote:

"Alex, I'll take Subwoofer enemas for $8,000 please."

Damn, $8,000 for just the bass sounds a bit like overkill. What are the rest of the components that you'll be running?

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Well, right now I have Diva's 6.1 package with 2 extra R3's but I will upgrade after this is done. I noticed the biggest improvement in HT when I did finish my 2 sono's so I figured I'd be seeing the best improvement right of the get go. I want to get to crazy levels of bass as you can tell.

BTW I just finished my arcade for the lobby

ARCADE

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i say the 16 tempest thing sounds sick. or 10 tumults in an IB running off 5 qsc amps, right in under $8000 and you'll be the only person around with 10tumults!!!!!!!!!

someone loan me $8000, please!

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
I think I decided on 16 Tempests. I only have to buy 12 more and seems the easier route. I'm going to do this in 2 waves. Buy 4 now and build a box similar to this.

here

Then buy 8 more and add another extension to it. I'll still throw 4k watts to it so it should be plenty loud. Looks like fun. Plus to won't cost nearly as much. Anyone do 16 tempests? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks