4" Spun Alum port flairs!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff L, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Anybody seen these yet? Wow they are sharp looking!
    Audiobahn is useing them in thier new higher end boxes. I have tried in vain to locate a suplier of these things, even e-mailed Audiobahns techs and they did reply. The dont sell just the ports, and (said), they manufacture thier own... I doubt it!
    I found a second high end box maker, (forget the name right now), that apears to be useing the same 4" spun alum flair. I did e-mail them also, with no responce to date.
    I dont know if ringing would come in to play, doubt it as per used freqs are to deep to be aplicapable. A new spin on the ol flair... check-em out at
    www.AudiobahnInc.com
    Find enclosers- then select box model ABP220, there are others but this shows four of them in one bandpass I belive...
    What ya think? Very cool when useing darker cabnit materals.
    Geoff
    [Edited last by Geoff L on October 06, 2001 at 09:07 PM]

2. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Hi, I was just looking through the radio shack catalogue and saw that there selling PA speakers with aluminum flared ports very cool looking. If anyone knows where you can purchase these please tell me. Thanks
    Ryan

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I no that this look is cerainly not for all, but another type, or look seems to me to always be welcomed.
    Flairs are certainly a big part of DIY and another choice is cool by me!
    The other place I saw them being used is- www.Gemsound.com

4. Rick Chwiendacz

I don't see what's stopping anyone from using metallic spray paint, either solid, or textured, such as Hammerite, to make their own "aluminum" port flares.
    I'm willing to bet with a little sanding/finish work, you can get a heck of a convincing replica.
    - Rick

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Rick,
    I agree, with some work this look might be closely achieved. Flex additives,sanding,and even clear coat, alota extra work. Then worry about chipping it before, during and after assembley.
    I guess one would need to know the cost of the real alum flair to justify wether time and labor would be a fair trade off.
    In this case for me, (if I wanted this look in a flair) ~for perspective~ take the average brushed silver reciever, do you prefer plastic or a real brushed metal front. Yeah it's anal, but you get the picture. Spun alum is spun alum, and aint nothing like the real thing.