What's new

4"+ smartphones -- the market has spoken (and it says yes) (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/18/galaxy-nexus-android-ice-cream-sandwich-pictures-video-hands-on/
This is a screen to be excited about: 4.6", 1280x720 means >300 ppi at a higher res than the iPhone. That's pretty awesome. I'm curious to see how it works in the next iteration of devices and how Apple responds (if at all) with the iPhone 5 next year.Very cool!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Engadget did not mention any laginess in their hands on. Topolski "subtle laginess" may be another man's "zero lag". Especially if Topolski is looking for anything that feels like lag, in which case he'll find it.

BTW, I don't think the writer of that article could have over-reacted any more to something he has zero experience with. The title of the article is completely misleading.

ETA: I looked at that bloggers tweets, and to say he's an Uber Apple fanboy is an understatement. The fact that he goes out of his way to start Android flamewars and is proud about it indicates that he's most likely an asshole with zero credibility.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
So someone who says he's always hated Android says negative things about it. What a shocker that is!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by DaveF /t/310298/4-smartphones-the-market-has-spoken-and-it-says-yes/60#post_3862150
http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/19/galaxy-nexus-vs-iphone-4s/

Good gravy, that's a big phone! When that gets to stores I've got to see it in person.

Good gravy that other phone is tiny!

It's 10mm taller than the Galaxy S2, but about the same width and .5mm thicker. Still 5mm taller than my Epic Touch, but actually narrower and 1mm thinner.

BTW, I am not arguing that it's not big. It's fricken huge.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Are you seriously callig JT an iPhone fanboy? For reals? /boggle
I can only imagine your next defense when others show the observation to be true.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I was referring to the blogger as the fanboy, not Topolsky. But yes, there are Android memes that JT likes to go on about, and one of them is "lagginess". If you're looking for lagginess, you'll see it. Frankly, calling it "subtle" lagginess sounds like hedging anyway. Is it laggy or not?

Again, the Engadget crew thought it felt faster than the Galaxy S2, and that is not a laggy phone by any stretch.

For any idiot blogger to deduce that the Nexus Prime is a laggy and defective phone solely on Topolsky's equivocal commentary is hogwash. That would be like me reading that Siri missed a few words to hysterically conclude that voice recognition on the iPhone is broken.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Wow, more Android FUD from Gruber? Shocking. BTW, that joke is as old as shit.

I own a phone that about the same size as the Nexus Prime and I have zero problems fitting them into my jeans pocket. I honestly don't think Gruber should worry that his pants are too small.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sam Posten said:
Wow, more Android FUD from Gruber? Shocking. BTW, that joke is as old as shit.

I own a phone that about the same size as the Nexus Prime and I have zero problems fitting them into my jeans pocket. I honestly don't think Gruber should worry that his pants are too small.
I don't know that the GN is really too big or anything, but you vouching for its size probably doesn't say a whole lot though since you even fit your 7" Galaxy Tab in your pants pocket too.

Anyway, certainly looks/sounds interesting. However, at this rate (w/ no more unlimited data), I'll probably just forget about any non-company-paid/subsidized smartphone for the forseeable future and probably just shift my focus toward tablets going forward. Heck, even my interest in tablets would likely wane if Amazon, et al. aren't pushing pricing for quality tablets down to the sub-$300 level since I already spend much of everyday in front of a computer and wouldn't really want to use a tablet to watch movies either...

_Man_

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Yes, the Galaxy Tab does fit in my pocket! I can walk around normally and even sit down, although the corner of the device digs into my hip a little if I do the latter. Suffice it to say, I know when it's in my pocket. But the Epic Touch is a different story -- it's so thin it doesn't create a bulge, and it's so light that I have to check my pocket to make sure it's there.
If you can get your hands on a Galaxy Tab, see if it can fit in your front pocket. I bet it does. It may look like it won't fit, but it'll slide in there pretty good. That's what she said.
As far as the Nexus Prime is concerned, even hipsters with skinny jeans will be able to pocket it. I don't know if Gruber gets custom pants with short pockets, but your run of the mill pair of jeans is more than sufficient to contain the Nexus Prime.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
DaveF said:
On the Super AMOLED screen in Galaxy Note we also noticed that the panel had a bluish tint when viewed from an angle. This has not been confirmed for Galaxy Nexus but it probably shows the same characteristics. Some people seem to argue that PenTile panels are less power-hungry, but that is not true either – actually it is the other way around. However, the Super AMOLED panel inside Galaxy Nexus should still provide fantastic black depth and minimal motion blurring, and these picture characteristics are certainly impressive, but it is the complete package that counts, right?
Exceptional contrast ratios can look better than raw pixel count on video. But this is not a living room TV, it's a computer, so it's not clear that's a good tradeoff here.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by DaveF /t/310298/4-smartphones-the-market-has-spoken-and-it-says-yes/60#post_3862441
Exceptional contrast ratios can look better than raw pixel count on video. But this is not a living room TV, it's a computer, so it's not clear that's a good tradeoff here.
It applies to mobile screens as well. None of the WVGA or qHD LCD screens match up to the Retina screen, but a lot of reviewers preferred the SAMOLED plus screens to the Retina screen simply because of the contrast ratio and vivid colors. And those are 4.3"-4.52" screens running 800 X 480. The size differential, although an important factor, actually worked against the SAMOLED plus screens in the ppi department.

BTW, the reason they weren't calling the Nexus Prime screen a Retina screen is because that's an Apple marketing term. The writer makes it seem like that's some sort of standard industry term.

The bottom line for me is that if you want to delve into the numbers and charts and zoomed in pictures you can experience a Monster Cable effect and see/hear things that aren't significant or even insignificant, but note that none of the hands on reviewers noticed it was a pentile screen, probably because it was running at a very high resolution.

I do wonder if the pentile matrix was done because of a manufacturing limitation or if was done to put less stress on the GPU.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Biggest deal breaker for me -- 16GB or 32GB models only with no SD slot. That's in line with the Nexus S, which was 16GB with no SD slot. Then again, I had zero intention of ever buying this phone, since Sprint is not rolling out LTE phones until mid-2012. That means the Galaxy Nexus is either not coming to Sprint until then or it's coming earlier with Wimax, the HD-DVD to Bluray/LTE.

I'm looking ahead to the Galaxy S3, presumably with a 720p SAMOLED Plus screen and Exynos processor. I think I can get by with my Epic Touch for now. Since, you know... it's awesome.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I thought Sprint 100% punted on Wimax, wasn't that their message 2 weeks ago?
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/07/sprint-converts-its-cdma-network-to-lte/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks