What's new

4 Samurai Classics - Akira Kurosawa (1 Viewer)

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I thought this is a bundling of 4 Criterion releases, if that's the case, 7 Samurai has commentary, Hidden Fortress has interview with George Lucas, nothing with Yojimbo and Sanjuro (to the best of my recollection).

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I have it, it's just the same 4 Criterion movies packaged in an IMO useless box (would have been more useful if you could read the movie titles while they were stored in the box). There are not a lot of extras with each movie, one has a commentary, one a trailer, one an interview...you get the idea...buy the set for the movies at a discount price.

Barry A

Grip
That's what I was thinking...the box set is much cheaper than buying the Criterions seperately. I've only seen the Criterions around here for about $26-35 each, and the box set is about $70-80. Just wanted to know what all was included since the box doesn't really say anything.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
FWIW, I got it from overstock.com for $71.59 incl. shipping. As you say, I think I priced the individual discs out at ~$28 each, so a decent deal if you want at least 3 of these titles (and who doesn't?).

Ben Rockwell

Agent
I read somewhere that these discs were missing the spine #'s on the side. Is this true? I've been eyeing the set, but was just curious about that aspect. Otherwise, to my knowledge, they are the exact same as the ones currently on the market.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Rest easy, they have the spine numbers :). Which reminds me, the Canadian version of the Criterion issue of Traffic doesn't, another FU by Alliance Atlantis, par for the course, or maybe even an eagle...something I only noticed when filing my Samurai set. I guess it's obvious from the above post, but my Samurai set came from the U.S. just last month, so I think you're OK.

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
I have this box set and noticed that the images on the rear sleeve on my Seven Samurai was heavily pixilated. You can't even make out which scenes they are from. I emailed Jon at Criterion and am now awaiting a proper sleeve to be delivered free of charge. I guess mine was a "misprint". Maybe I can get a few hundred for it on ebay. ;)

ShaunS

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
This set has to be the best value out there. I was just getting into Kurosawa when it was released. What a way to start. I wish they would follow it up with another set.

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
The copy of Seven Samurai uses the cover from the first pressing of the disc (the one with the restoration demo), but contains the second pressing. Not really a "misprint" as all of the boxsets have this little intentional SNAFU.

Shaun, if you managed to get the proper sleeve through an e-mail, I guess I'll be sending off an e-mail myself. :D

Speaking of e-mail requests for covers:
Craig - if you contact Alliance Atlantis, they should have updated copies of the Traffic cover which include a spine number. I don't know the e-mail address, but you should be able to find it by searching the forums.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Dave, thanks for the info re the Traffic cover. But what do you mean about the Seven Samurai cover, I'm not following...? My cover doesn't mention a restoration demo, nor is there one (that I noticed!). Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks