What's new

4 Port HDMI Switch with Separate Sound Output (1 Viewer)

Robert_Lamb

Stunt Coordinator
I need a 4 port HDMI switch.

I would like it to be able to automatically switch to the powered port, and possibly have a priority order so it would go from powered port 1, then to 2, ... if there were multiple ports powered.

Would be nice if I could switch it with my universal remote if needed.

Also, want to run the output sound to my processor instead of / or in addition to my TV. Most likely a Toslink digital sound connection.

Any ideas on a device like this for less than $150?

Robert_Lamb

Stunt Coordinator
Also need the switch to be able to output THX, DTS, ... 5.1 surround sound when connected to a TV. So in other words, the HDMI cable would be connected to a Panasonic HD TV that just has stereo sound; however, the Toslink needs to be able to support 5.1 to a receiver at the same time. I don't really care if the TV sound is used.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've never seen an HDMI switch that also has an associated digital audio switch built in. That's redundant since HDMI also carries audio.

Why not an HDMI switch with dual outputs? One output to the TV directly and one output to the receiver so that you can get full surround sound.

Robert_Lamb

Stunt Coordinator
Dual outputs would work as long as one of them is something like a Toslink. My processor doesn't have any HDMI inputs (Anthem AVM-20). The AVM-20 still sounds great and works well. I would need to upgrade to something like an AVM-50v ($6,000). My TV is also out of HDMI ports.

I need something that I can hook up inputs like (xbox, Bluray player, ...) and send it to my TV as well as the sound portion to my processor (AVM-20).

Looking for ideas on how to do this using a universal remote and for low cost ($150 or less).

I could get something like the DVDO Edge for $400. I think this would work, but I don't need all of the signal processing, etc. that this device offers. Really looking for an intelligent switch with HDMI and Toslink type of output.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You might need to use dual boxes. A good monoprice HDMI switch as well as a Toslink switch. I've seen the HDMI switch for about $50 and the Toslink for about $80. Both used a remote that could work with a Harmony. My HDMI switch works great with my model 880.

Craig.c

Grip
Monoprice had a switch that did this. Check to see if its still on their web site as I gave mine to one of my son's

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I use the Monoprice 4x2 matrix HDMI switch. I've seen a remote control Toslink switch in the old For Sale section here and on Ebay. It is sold as a gaming accessory but it looks like any other piece of equipment. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer.

Robert_Lamb

Stunt Coordinator
I found this monoprice switch http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

What I am worried about is that is says:

* The Optical / Coaxial Digital audio format is based on the HDMI Output. If any of the sync devices (HDTV / Projector), connected to the output can only support stereo audio - Then the Optical / Coaxial Digital output will be PCM stereo audio.

So if I have the HDMI output connected to my TV, it will only output stereo instead of 5.1 output to the receiver. Not a good way to go for a Bluray player.
I guess I'm still looking for something more like the DVDO http://www.anchorbaytech.com/dvdo_edge/product.php This looks like it wouldn't have this issue - but it costs $400.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Originally Posted by Robert_Lamb This looks like it wouldn't have this issue - but it costs $400.

I have the Monoprice switch which is made by Port-ta (the model is the PET4000 if you Google it) and I've had the Port-ta switch for a while. I use them to convert SACD to PCM which then goes into my DAC. Works great and in some ways sounds better than the SACD as I have a nice DAC. I tried a Blu-Ray (someone asked me to) and did not get sound from the coax output. It will pass 192kHz 2 channel though. Atlona also makes a couple of HDMI audio de-embedders. I think one is the mode 570 and it has 3 stereo analog mini-jacks (so you need adapters) or toslink out. They also have the model 577 which has an HDMI pass through and also has 6 analog RCA outs. So if you're looking to take hi-rez sound out of a Blu-Ray player with no analog outs then that may be a viable solution. Markertek sells them I think the 570 is $215-220 and the 577 is $50-55 more give or take.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
There's also this - http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x2_7_1audio.html#HDSA71zoom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks