4 Ohms speakers

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
I allways woundered about this but is it perfectly ok to connect a pair of 4 ohm speakers to a 8 ohm receiver? My receiver is the Pioneer VSX-405 and it says it's a 8 ohm or higher receiver.

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
I was allways wondering about this but is it ok to use just a pair of 4 ohm speakers like the orginal JBL Control 1 to a stereo receiver like the Pioneer VSX-D308 that is rated for 8 ohms or 16 ohms? Since I'am planning to buy the orginal JBL Control 1 from pro and I was wondering if it is ok to connect them to my receiver for playback. I have attached a pic of my receiver but it's really bad pic since the color is alot more black like normal receivers than the pic.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You can probably get away with it for a little while, if you don't play it at high volumes. 4 ohm speakers will put an extra heavy load on an 8 ohm receiver, when played at high volumes. It can make your receiver run very hot. I saw in the pic, that the receiver is an old pro logic receiver. I'm not sure if they had the built in protection mode, back then. Now days, when a receiver gets too hot, it will say "Protection" on it's screen, and shut itself off, so it doesn't get damaged. Without the built in protection mode, the receiver could be damaged. I would suggest finding some 8 ohm speakers somewhere.
Better safe than sorry!

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
Well I did call the tech guys at Pioneer and they did say it has all of the protection features as todays but they don't recommend using 4 ohms speakers.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Adammccl --

Please do not start more than one thread on a topic. Your threads on this topic have been consolidated. Do not start another one, and do not bump this thread by repeating the questions that have already been answered. Thanks for your cooperation.

M.

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dynz