4 Ohm Speakers - What Receiver to use??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chad_, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Chad_

Chad_ Extra

I was wondering what effect connecting 4 Ohm Impedence speakers would have on a receiver that doesn't specifically support them (Denon, Yamaha, etc... pretty much all the mainstream receivers don't...) Will it cause issues?

What receivers would be good to get to drive 4 Ohm speakers (like the PSB Stratus series for example)

Thanks!

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Arcam, NAD and Cambridge Audio all offer receivers capable of carrying 4 ohm loads. Onkyo 801 and up and Integra DTR 7.4 and up can also carry such loads.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    IMO, it won't cause serious issues, you will just be driving whatever receiver very hard, so a better one will be a good idea. It also depends on how large your room is and what kind of listening levels you will be asking of this system. If you will never be listening beyond average listening levels, you could probably use any decently powered receiver and get away with it. If you want to listen LOUD without damaging the speakers, then I would definitley get a 4 Ohm capable receiver.

My 3 mains are 4 Ohm bookshelf speakers and with my Marantz 8300 (min 6 Ohm recommended), they sounded OK, but not as good as I knew they were. When I moved my mains to monoblock amps that are 4 Ohm stable, there was a noticable improvement.

NAD would probably be my first recommendation. I believe Rotel will handle a 4 Ohm load as well, though I don't think they state that. Arcam is awsome stuff too, but a bit pricey.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

NAD T763 driving MB Quart QLS-1030s (4ohm) and have had no problems in a year or so of use, even at loud volumes for prolonged periods of time.

Sony STRDA-555ES had to have its power supply (transformer? I can't remember what the tech wrote on the repair sheet) replaced after it stopped working trying to drive those speakers. Luckily Sony's 5 year ES warranty was there to save the day. That receiver is now happily driving my Energy C6 bedroom speakers (8ohm).

5. Chad_

Chad_ Extra

I am looking at Harmon Kardon receivers that handle 4 Ohm speakers (the 230 and 330). Other receivers I was considering were Yamaha (RX-V750, 1400, 1500, 2400, 2500, HTR-5790), Denon (2105, 2805, 3805, 3803, etc.).

Those seem to be the most viable options (I'm in Ontario, Canada and some of the other brands are sparsely carried - so getting a good price, etc. is difficult from what I have seen so far)

I guess I have to figure out if the HK will drive the 4 Ohm speakers better than the Yamaha and Denon receivers (or any other brand I can find up here in that price range)

6. Chad_

Chad_ Extra

I am also going to investigate the Pioneer receivers (perhaps the Elite line supports 4 Ohm speakers?)

7. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

I've read reports on avs of people successfully driving their 4 ohm speakers with the Pioneer 1014.

8. John Garcia

John
    You can successfully drive a car that requires high octane gas on 89 too, but does that mean it's a great idea? Eventually, it will knock....

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It depends on the particular speakers and receiver. I’ve seen some combinations where the receiver would shut down at anything over 1/4 volume.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

10. John Garcia

John
    That's why I said this:

A number of receivers will not tolerate a 4 Ohm load and protection circuitry will simply shut them down when the impedance drops too low. These are generally lower models, that do not have beefy enough power supplies to handle a low impedance load.

11. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

My Sony ES used to drive 4 ohm speakers w/o a sweat. It now drives my new 8ohm less efficient speakers.

I'm pretty sure they changed amp designs though.

I know Chip E might drop by. He has PSB Stratus speakers and is running an Elite receiver but only for the center and rears and sides. He is not running the mains as he is still using a B&K amp.

12. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

HK amps are high current amps.They will drive a 4ohm load easily.Yamaha will drive it to.People seem to get so hung up on specs and really should just let any amp do what it will do.Almost any amp will drive a 4ohm load.It seems speaker and receiver manufacturers are just trying to reduce their potential liability when really there is none!!