What's new

4 ohm speakers on a 8 ohm receiver. (1 Viewer)

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchase a set of jamo e410 bookshelf speakers with e4 center channel speaker. I didn't realized that the e410 were 4 ohms speakers. Who would of thought realtivly cheap speakers would be 4 ohms. the center channel is 8 ohm. I know that the lower impedance of the speakers will work my receiver harder, but how much damage could it do? The bookshelf are only rated @ 50watt rms and 100watt peak. should I return the speakers? or should I be fine since these are low power rated bookshelfs. I don't listen @ high volumes. My receiver is a pioneer vsx d711 rated @ 5x100watt. Thanks

Adam.Gonsman

Stunt Coordinator
Hien,
You're most likely OK, especially since you don't listen at high volumes or plan to drive them hard. If they were bigger speakers that could take higher wattages and you planned on pushing them hard, it might be a problem, but I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of guys say to leave receivers that are switchable between 4 and 8 ohm loads on 8 even when you're driving 4's. So I wouldn't worry about it. Happy listening.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, I just talk to the tech that sold me the speakers and he said it should be fine. I would probably blow the speakers before any damage could be done to the receiver. His shop is a service center for klispch, jamo, panasonic etc.....so if any problems he'll fix it for me for the duration of the speaker warranty.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that these are "4 ohm nominal" speakers. The "nominal" means that the 'typical' impedence of your speaker is around 4 ohms, but in reality your speakers range from 2-30 ohms depending upon the frequency of sound they are producing.

If it's an HT system, your center speaker produces sound 100% of the time and your L/R speakers run a good bit less. So the 8 ohm center is a good idea.

(Try disconnecting your center speaker and playing a favorite chapter - kind of shocking how little the other speakers are used).

Some advice:

- Make sure your receiver has lots of venting room above it. The 4 ohm speakers draw current, this generates heat, which can damage/reduce the life of your amp. Proper ventilation really helps. A small electric fan blowing across the top can help.

- Make sure your L/R speakers (and perhaps even the center) are set to SMALL. This will prevent the receiver from trying to send the low-frequency sounds to these speakers. The low-frequency sounds are what take lots of power to produce.

- Listen to a favorite action movie at near your maximum volume and monitor the receiver temperature. As long as it does not get too hot, you are fine.

Hope this helps.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
I have all the speakers set to small. I was running music with all 3 speakers on at higher then normal volume for a few hours and everything seemed fine. My HT is in the basement where it's always cool. The receiver is where a 27" tv should be in my entertainment unit. Lots of for air. I'll monitor it again once I pick up some rears speakers for my HT. Thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks