4 ohm speaker question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dan D Burke, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Dan D Burke

Dan D Burke Agent

I'll be getting a pair of PHase Technology PC 8.5's that I have been told are 4 ohms. My current receiver is a Denon 1602. Will there be any problems running the 4 ohm speakers with this setup? From what I have read I might be looking at an overheating problem. Anything else I should be concerned about?

Thanks

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You may not be looking at overheating, you may be looking at the receiver shutting off. Many receivers incorporate protection circuitry that will shut it off when the impedence drops too low. If not, overheating is a pretty significant problem too, since you will be losing output power to heat. Read your manual, it will tell you what the lowest impedence recommended for this receiver is.

3. Dan D Burke

Dan D Burke Agent

Thanks John.

The receiver is rated 6 or 8 ohms. I might have misunderstood the whole impedance, ohm, heat issues. If I play the receiver at normal levels would there be a problem?

I am not apposed to getting a new receiver but not at this time. As the saying goes, One thing at a time.[​IMG]

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Dan,

In principle it's not a proper combination. In practice, however, it will most probably never pose any problem.

Make sure you play indeed at "normal" levels - not too loud. Distortions during loud passages are a bad sign. It may be the dreaded 'clipping', which may destroy your speakers even before your receiver shuts off.

Normally, speakers have impedances ranging from 2 - 20 Ohms at different frequencies and, at a given frequency, it is also dependent of the temperature of the voice coil.

No need to be too nervous about it, especially because you will change your receiver in the future.

Cees

5. John Garcia

John
    No, you didn't misunderstand. [​IMG] Lower impedence speaekrs will present a higher load to the receiver, which WILL result in higher heat because it will be working harder. In addition to thermal protection, some receivers will simply shut down to protect itself from damage and/or to prevent damaging your speakers (so it's a good thing).

My receiver is also rated for 6 Ohm speakers, but I am running 4 ohm bookshelf speakers, though they are also listed as 91.5dB efficient. They do seem to make the receiver generate a bit more heat, but it doesn't seem to be straining nor am I getting any distortion, which is really what you want to avoid.

It is hard to say if your receiver with these speakers will be a problem in your particular room (size and how loud is loud to you). Try it out, if the sound is distorted at moderate listening levels, you will want additional amplification, as driving the amp to distortion will be more likely to damage the speakers than the receiver in the long run.

6. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

7. John Garcia

John
    I meant higher demand on the amp, I did not mean "load" in terms of impedence load that the receiver sees, but in essence the same information was conveyed.

8. Dan D Burke

Dan D Burke Agent

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Now if we can find a way to ship these without breaking my bank.[​IMG]

9. John S

John S Producer

Maybe if every single amp was run at 4 ohms it may become a problem, but I have run at least 3 of the amps on my Denon at 4 ohms for a couple of years now.

10. Dan D Burke

Dan D Burke Agent

which Denon do you have? I imagine that I will be making the switch to HK after the years end.