What's new

4 ohm M&K's with 6 ohm Denon receiver? Will it work? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I just sent this e-mail to M&K, but wanted your feedback, thanks:

Hello,

M&K speakers have made it on my short list of speakers I would like to have for my home theater system, but I have one concern. The impedance of the speakers is 4 ohms, but the receiver I want (either a Denon 2805 or 3805) is only rated to drive a 6 ohm or above load. Is this a conservative 4 ohms, or is this a speaker that skirts 2, 3 ohms at certain frequencies? Also, I would assume the fact the hi-pass would be set to 80 Hz. on the receiver would also help the unit drive these speakers easily.

I am considering either the S-150's or the LCR-750's. I know the S-150's start getting a bit hardcore for a A/V receiver.

Will these little guys melt the receiver, or will these larger Denon units be able to drive them just fine?

Please be honest in your answer, as I am more willing to buy another receiver with these speakers than change speakers and buy the Denon!

Thanks!

Kenneth Harden
Reno, NV

P.S. You have some of the finest product manuals I have seen from any home theater company.

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
Kenneth,I have owned M&K 4 ohm speakers and drove them with a Yamaha RXV-3000 with no problem.A Denon amp will drive those M&K's.My suggestion is that you set your Denon's Crossover to small(all five channels)and use a powered sub.Most amps will have no problem driving a 4ohm load(tweeters and midranges only)in this configuration.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Barry A. Ober of M&K just wrote me a responce that blew my mind, probably took a solid 5 minuites to read.

That alone showed me these guys are not playing games. They understand audio, they cut the BS, they really know whats going on.

I have Klipsch Chorus II's for my music, but I want a smaller, integrated system for movies, and I think this system would be great.

Paul S

Stunt Coordinator
M&K make some of the finest speakers in the business. You will have no trouble at all driving them with your receiver.

Incidentally, not many people know that M&K invented the subwoofer back in 1973.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks