4 ohm M&K's with 6 ohm Denon receiver? Will it work?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kenneth Harden, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I just sent this e-mail to M&K, but wanted your feedback, thanks:

Hello,

M&K speakers have made it on my short list of speakers I would like to have for my home theater system, but I have one concern. The impedance of the speakers is 4 ohms, but the receiver I want (either a Denon 2805 or 3805) is only rated to drive a 6 ohm or above load. Is this a conservative 4 ohms, or is this a speaker that skirts 2, 3 ohms at certain frequencies? Also, I would assume the fact the hi-pass would be set to 80 Hz. on the receiver would also help the unit drive these speakers easily.

I am considering either the S-150's or the LCR-750's. I know the S-150's start getting a bit hardcore for a A/V receiver.

Will these little guys melt the receiver, or will these larger Denon units be able to drive them just fine?

Please be honest in your answer, as I am more willing to buy another receiver with these speakers than change speakers and buy the Denon!

Thanks!

Kenneth Harden
    Reno, NV

P.S. You have some of the finest product manuals I have seen from any home theater company.

2. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

Kenneth,I have owned M&K 4 ohm speakers and drove them with a Yamaha RXV-3000 with no problem.A Denon amp will drive those M&K's.My suggestion is that you set your Denon's Crossover to small(all five channels)and use a powered sub.Most amps will have no problem driving a 4ohm load(tweeters and midranges only)in this configuration.

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Barry A. Ober of M&K just wrote me a responce that blew my mind, probably took a solid 5 minuites to read.

That alone showed me these guys are not playing games. They understand audio, they cut the BS, they really know whats going on.

I have Klipsch Chorus II's for my music, but I want a smaller, integrated system for movies, and I think this system would be great.

4. Paul S

Paul S Stunt Coordinator

M&K make some of the finest speakers in the business. You will have no trouble at all driving them with your receiver.

Incidentally, not many people know that M&K invented the subwoofer back in 1973.