What's new

4-ohm "entry level" center channel? (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The other day, I was shopping around for a center channel. I saw a new Polk model (CS-M or some such) and I noticed that the nominal impedence was 4 ohm. This was obviously intended as an entry level speaker-- but I thought that low impedence speakers were handled best by (more expensive) amplifiers specifically designed for it. Confused by the issue, and deciding that a higher priced, better established model (The polk cs1) was more to my taste, I bought that instead...

So. what's the deal, here? Would it have fried my receiver? I notice that the "Recommended Amplifier Power" was 10-100 w/channel, compared to the cs1's "20 - 125 w/channel". I thought that a lower impedence. is usually associated with higher wattages.

Maybe I should just pick up some DVD-Audio discs and stop worrying so much...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A single 4 Ohm speaker shouldn't be to rough on most decent receivers. It might be a problem for the lowest models, or ones that have a weak power supply that might be sensitive to impedance.

Yes, you SHOULD pick up some DVD-As and fugetaboudit :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks