What's new

4 Generations of Miles (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
4 Generations of Miles- SACD, Chesky records

Jimmy Cobb- drums

Played with Miles during late 50s and early 60s. Replaced Philly Joe Jones in the classic sextet (with 'Trane and Cannonball). Recorded Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain, among others. Known for subtle accompaniment style.

Ron Carter- bass

Part of "second quintet" of the 60s with Williams, Shorter, and Hancock (my favorite of the Miles canon). Recorded ESP, Miles Smiles, Sorcerer, etc. A personal favorite, this guy can pretty much do everything on a bass with exquisite harmony, elegance, and taste. I consider him an all around "perfect" player.

George Coleman- tenor sax

Played with Miles in early 60s. Recorded Some Day My Prince Will Come and Seven Steps To Heaven. Soulful, swinging style.

Mike Stern- guitar

Early 80s Miles (Star People, Man With the Horn). Extremely technically proficient. Successful solo career with many admirers.

I saw this band recently and it was great fun. Mike Stern definitely held the solo spotlight, brandishing some great chops. Even more impressive was his accompaniment, making up for the lack of piano.

Of course the biggest thrill for me was my hero Ron Carter. Such a pleasure to listen to him. It's amazing how a bass player of that caliber can select just the right harmonic thing to make the group sound that much better.

I was excited to discover that Chesky has released a hybrid, multichannel SACD of an earlier concert. Needless to say, the performance is killer.

Tracklisting:

1. There Is No Greater Love
2. All Blues
3. On Green Dolphin Street
4. Blue In Green
5. 81
6. Freddie Freeloader
7. My Funny Valentine
8. If I Were A Bell
9 . Oleo

All tracks are from Miles' 50s repertoire except 81 which is from the ESP album. Even during that time, Miles focused on this material in concert, so Carter, Coleman, and Cobb mastered it a long time ago.

It's pretty neat hearing it all with a guitar instead of piano.

The sound is typical of jazz SACDs coming from labels like Chesky (and Telarc, Analogue Productions, etc)- you can't go wrong. The surround mix is tame, but it's good for a live performance, as it puts the audience behind you. Very nice seperation of instruments in either mix.

This is the kind of stuff I got into high-res for. Check it out.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, thanks for the review. It's one of many that I would like to check out. It sounds like a winner.

Michael_T

Second Unit
I purchased this disc a few months ago, when it first became available on SACD - mainly because of the review in Stereophile.

I was a bit underwhelmed at the over performance - probably because I was thinking I was going to experience the same emotions I do when I listen to the actual Miles albums these tunes are from. I didn't.

I saw Miles twice, in his later period - early and mid 80's, and I did catch him when Mike Stern was with him on guitar. This was when Miles was really into "funk" fusion, and Mike Stern wailed on electric guitar. Obviously, because of the material on this set his doesn't really wail the way I remember.

I am not saying this is a bad recording, and it is worth checking out - but I was a bit underwhelmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks