What's new

4 Film Favorites - Superman - October 14, 2008 (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Anyone looking to get the 4 Chris Reeves films for cheap, Warner Bros Store is showing a October 14, 2008 release date for the films on their 4 Film Favorites budget line. Price for set is $14.95 at the Warner Store before any discount coupons. This will be one disk for each feature.

4 Film Favorite: Superman from Warner Home Video on DVD - Special Edition

Also
4 Film Favorite: Nightmare on Elm Street 1-4
http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/....jsp?OID=50151

4 Film Favorite: Clint Eastwood Comedy
http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/....jsp?OID=50159

4 Film Favorite: Elvis Presley Musicals
http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/....jsp?OID=50141

4 Film Favorite: Nightmare on Elm Street 5-8
http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/....jsp?OID=50145

4 Film Favorite: The Matrix Collection
http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/....jsp?OID=50147

4 Film Favorite: Hugh Grant Collection
http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/....jsp?OID=50161

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Great packaging for the two Nightmare On Elm Street Collections. I always hoped that they would release individual keep cases with the poster artwork they put out in the original box set...

I might go for those depending on the specs and whether they are new transfers. I hope the Infinifilm or whatever they're called Special Edition of the first movie is included. It appears that these will all be double-feature discs.

(edit: too bad they had to spoil the second set by including Freddy Vs Jason. Yech!)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
So they're releasing the Elm Street sequel with the 3D intact? Cool! I have all but that one. I'd certainly buy that set to get the 3D and sell the duplicates at my yard sale.

I'll be snagging that Superman set. I'm glad I waited on those. Can't wait to see good old Christopher Reeves flying high again. I don't have a lot of desire to see that reboot Superman flick but it would be great if it was included as a throwaway bonus.

Nice! :emoji_thumbsup:

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'm glad I waited on getting Superman as well. I'll definitely pick this up (pending specs) as well as both "Nightmare On Elm Street" sets. Just in time for Halloween too. Works for me!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I'm a big fan of these "multiple films in a single amaray case" sets. Unfortunately, a lot of them include only the full-screen version of one or more of the films. According to the links in the first post of this thread, that is sadly the case with the Nightmare on Elm Street sets. The Matrix and Superman sets look cool, though, and I'd probably get 'em if I didn't already have the giant 10- and 14-disc sets for those series. I wonder which version of the original Superman is included, though. It's first DVD release included only the extended cut, and I held off on purchasing it until the original theatrical version was available, as it was in the 2006 re-issue. I have a feeling it'll be extended-version-only again.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I must have overlooked the specs on the "Nightmare" sets. If that's the case, I'll most certainly pass and hunt down the box set. I still have my eye on the Superman foursome however.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I assumed it was just a misprint or oversight but I wouldn't touch any of these if the NOES Collection is indeed 4x3! I'd like to pick up the 1st collection but will wait for reviews...

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
No need to wait for reviews for the 2 elm street sets, it has been confirmed they are the same transfers as the old discs, and contain both widescreen and fullscreen.Nightmare part 1 even has all the bonus features intact.The rest contain the trailers.All movies have both 5.1 and original mono options.Even though I already have the infinifilm of nightmare 1, and the single disc of nightmare 2,its a nice cheap way to get nightmare 3 and 4, and to also have the original mono mix of nightmare 1 to boot !!!!!!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Great news about the aspect ratios. Does the Nightmare on Elm Street collection include the original DVD release of the first movie, or the later "Infinifilm" version? As I recall, the Infinifilm release had some issues with the color timing and soundtrack, didn't it?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
So what are the actual movies in the Eastwood set?

The specs list Space Cowboys, Bronco Billy, City Heat and Pink Cadillac

The artwork lists Space Cowboys, Honkytonk Man, Any Which Way You Can, & Every Which Way But Loose

???????

I would assume the artwork is correct and the specs. wrong. If so, I'm all over that set. I've been wanting both of the monkey films in my collection for a long time.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
As mainly a TV-on-DVD collector, I still buy some films on standard DVD to watch on my small bedroom set. Amazon.com has the 4 original Superman film set for $7.50.

03.jpg

The specs say it's a 2-disc set on double-sided flippers. (The back of the box does too.)

02.jpg

But what arrived was 4 single-sided discs stacked on top of each other. So I was pleasantly surprised.

Just wanted to pass along in case anyone else wanted to pick one up.

01.jpg

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I suspect Warner is too lazy to re-edit the packaging to reflect four single-sided discs. :)

My old copy of this set was two double-sided flipper discs.

Nowadays it is good that Warner has exited out of the flipper disc business for most of their catalog titles. (Though a few exceptions still exist, such as several of the reissued Dukes of Hazzard season sets).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I passed by the nearby Wallyworld, and noticed other Warmer sets which might also have been reissued as 4 single-sided discs. On some sets, such as:

- Nightmare On Elm Street
- a cartoon set with "Ant Bully"
- Ocean Eleven/11/12/13
- etc ...

These sets had the "sideA", "sideB", etc ...flipper nomenclature written on the back cover. Though the physical weight of the set suggested it was more than two discs inside the package.

On a nearby shelf, they had a 4-movie 90s era Batman movie set which felt significantly lighter than the above mentioned "heavier" weight sets. My guess this 90s Batman set was the two flipper disc version.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I wish that more of these came out on blu ray and I wish that Superman 2 was out individually on blu (or at least in a reasonably priced 4 film set).

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
You can get the full anthology (5 films) on Blu region-free from Amazon UK for under $24

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I HATE those stacked discs! Glad I got the Superman set when it was 2 2-sided discs in a proper case- only problem with them is that there's no labeling on side 2 of the discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks