(4) Avalanche 15 setup

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brian-K-Owens, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Brian-K-Owens

Brian-K-Owens Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,

Finally finished my (4) 15" Avalanche 15 setup!!! Man is it wild. They are setup two drivers per cabinet, each cabinet is 5.25 ft^3 sealed and they are run on a QSC PLX3402, so each driver is getting around 800-850 watts.

Like I said, it is amazing. It replaces dual Tumults on the same amp in 2.5 ft^3 sealed enclosures. The bass for the first time is just effortless. I am a bass freak, and this is more than I want for my HT. The tumults were impressive, but it took slightly clipping the amp to get the kind of bass I wanted with music. HT was pretty good with the Tumults, but I always wanted a little more with music, since my mains will get really loud. No problem with the (4) A15's. More than enought bass, even with the NCMS Rhythm's taking a full 300+ watts!

I am also now running the Avalanche 18" in my truck!! Awesome SQ and SPL!!!

Love these drivers Chad!!!

Brian

2. Brian-K-Owens

Avalanche 15 enclosure

Remote linking not allowed on my freeservers account. Here is a link ot the picture!!!!

3. MarkRoberts

MarkRoberts Stunt Coordinator

Wicked setup I saw your post over at the soundillusions site. I was wondering how you have them placed in your room. Also I noticed you said you were watching the incredibles in DTS. How did you manage that I thought it wasn't out til next month. I have to admit I am quite envious of your subs. What the heck do you for a living anyway? Not trying to be nosy just curious. The one picture on your site has like 3k+ worth of subs on the floor. BTW, your link in your second post is the remote linking is forbidden thing.

4. Brian-K-Owens

In the front of my room, there is a 28" deep "void" that I built into the room to allow a cabinet for my 36" TV that would be flush mounted with the wall. On each side of that cabinet, I made a 28" H x 21" W opening.

The DVD came from across the ocean. . . .

I am an Electrical Engineer. I work as a consultant for Delphi Automotive Systems. I worked for Peterbilt Motors for 6 years, left there and worked contract for Ford Motors Co. for 13 months and then Delphi hired me to consult for them onsite at Peterbilt. . .So here I am back at Peterbilt designing Delphi electronics into Peterbilt trucks.

That was a cool picture. In my living room that day, I had (2) Tumults, (5) Avalanche 15's, (1) Avalanche 18, (1) XXX 15, and (2) Tempests. . .and yes they were all mine! I have since sold everything but the (4) avalanche 15's and the Avalanche 18 in my truck. Kind of a subwoofer junkie!

Is the linking forbidden on this forum, or does it not work for you? I tried to post the pic, but I get the "forbidden linking" from freeservers. The link above to the picture works for me. If I broke the rules, I can edit it. Normally remote linking to another forum is not ok.

My website is bkolfo4.freeservers.com

Brian

5. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

what do you think dual 18 or quad 15 Avalanche the dual 18 will be a a lot cheaper and take up a little less space.
    if you can get a pro/cons of the 15 vs the 18.

i am also a bass head i love good quality bass.

6. Brian-K-Owens

Someone else asked this on the soundillusions forum. Three main reasons I did (4) 15's:

1. It maximized the power output of my amp. I could have (2) 18's at 1100 watts each, or (4) 15's with 850 watts each.
    2. I like watching multiple drivers move 2" peak to peak.
    3. Chad already had dual 18's in his setup, so I wanted to try something different.

If you look at the swept volume, it would actually take (3) 18's for more Vd than than the (4) 15's. . .

I think either one would be awesome. I run the Avalanche 18 in my truck , and it is one sweet driver.

Brian

7. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

and 3 18 will cost the same as 4 15 you got me thinking. but if i do 3 i will need more parts and a new box and a nother amp.

8. Brian-K-Owens

That is why I did (4) 15's. Easy to get 2 ohms/ch, and I still only have two cabinets. (3) 18's is a stange configuration for most amps (unless you have multiple amps).

How big is your room? Mine is pretty big. like 20' x 22' x 10' with two openings into the kitchen, and one opening into a hallway leading to the master bedroom. Even with an area that big, the (4) 15's more than fill it. . . .

Guess I could try (4) 18's next. . . [​IMG]

Brian

9. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    Hi guys,

If you do some comparative modeling, you will find that once you run into an upper limit on the box volume, the 2x 15" per cabinet has equal or greater sensitivity down low with a nominal 1W into the respective load. You also find that without enough power or larger box, you don't benefit from the 18" except for less likelihood of getting close to the non-linear region of operation. Also, don't forget the thermal factors, where the 18" and 15" have the same coil and basic motor, so the dual 15" has 2x the thermal handling of a single 18".

In the end the "best choice" always depends on many factors and mostly on the limitations of your application and budget.

Brian- Sounds like a killer system. Have you taken any measurements in room to see what sort of low extension you are seeing?

Regards,

10. Brian-K-Owens

No measurements yet. All I have is the RS meter, so don't know how good the measurements would be.

Sure sounds sweet to my ears. [​IMG]

Brian

11. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

WHOA!

What are the details on those MASSIVE line arrays you had!

Looks like a bunch of those Motorola horns and ~6" woofers.

Looks awesome!

12. Brian-K-Owens

My Cousin has those arrays. They were a fun project I just wanted to try. They can be built for $192.00. That included everything, even a new router bit for cuting all the holes. In my case, I actually picked up the 24 Panasonic 6.5" drivers for free, so they were only $120.

They sounded ok. The horns actually go lower than advertised, so they have an overlap in the XO which really increased overall output between 3-4k (No XO on the horns, just the 6". I could have added an XO to the horns, but did not want to invest any more money). My cousin uses the EQ in his HT receiver to make them sound pretty darn good. I hit them with 300 watts RMS and had them tuned by ear with a 10 band EQ. They sounded comparible to the average speaker you would hear in Best Buy, but MUCH louder.

I was thinking of building a nice array kit like the Alpha LS, but have now decided to stick with the North Creeks.

The more I listen to the new subwoofer setup, the more it amazes me!!! The Avalanche drivers are pretty sweet for the $$$.

Brian

13. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

My mission to to try and find a cheap way to make some great sounding line arrays [​IMG]

I have 20 of the cheap Parts Express 4" drivers. I made some mockup speakers with 4 drivers on each (8 ohms) and they sound pretty good. I want to do 9 per box, and this time make it a tuned ported enclosure.

14. Brian-K-Owens

How will you wire the 9 drivers?

I have my 12 wired from top to bottom in the (2 of 4)-3-2-3-(2 of 4) arrangement. There are 7 horns wired (2 of 4)-3-(2 of 4).

My enclosure is tuned to 50 Hz. Use a sub below 50 Hz. . .

Brian