What's new

4 6 Ohm Speakers from 1 L-R connection... (1 Viewer)

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
on my H/K 510. Not running anything near reference...just for tonight have my towers stacked on each other as a new set arrived...I'm testing them out... and I don't want to use the rear surround connectors...just split up the first main bi-wire set and hooked up the straps. The 510 does not have A/B main connectors but it is hardly warm...any problems with this as long as the volume stays reasonable?

Heath_R

Stunt Coordinator
The amp will see a 3ohm load from 2 6ohm speakers wired in parallel. Not to bad, and the HK does have a good reputation for solid amps. I don't think it will hurt anything as long as you do not turn it up. Make sure it is well ventilated, and check its temp with your hand. If it is very hot turn it off.

This is just all IMO, so if you smoke your reciver don't cry.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What matters is how much current they draw, not just the resistance. If it isn't clipping, it should be OK. I wouldn't do it with my receiver, but as Heath said, it's at your own risk.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Heath and John,

Thanks for the replies. So the 510 is 'seeing' two 3 Ohm speakers...not bad. I have to say H/K amp staging has never been suspect. Other QC problems have cropped up through the years but output isn't one them. This is yet another testimonial to the reserves of power in these brutes. The 510 isn't hot anywhere and I have only 1 inch or so of top clearance but open front and back. Played CD's at -25 with no sweat...I gotta say I love H/K.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Paul,
Seems you've got your answer.
The receiver dosn't care if you have 5 speakers hooked up to one channel.:) As John said, it only sees the wired total ohm load they add up to (resistance) and the currant they draw.
4-97's... I bet you gota big smile on your face now!:D
Any problems with the load so far???

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hi Geoff,
Nope, no probs. I keep inching the volume up a bit at a time
...have reached -20 with no sweat. I even went and wired up the old 6 Ohm Pioneer towers for the surrounds as described in some other recent posts. Now I have a 3 Ohm front load, a 6 Ohm center, and 6 Ohm rear surrounds. The 510 just eats this stuff up and spits it out. I don't know why I'm being so careful (well, actually I do :b) It took me awhile to acquire this second set of Walnut 97's and that was just happenstance. I may be crazy but I'm not stupid crazy. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks