4-4-02 Er

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd H, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Damn.

I spent the whole episode with a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. I've spent so many years watching Mark Greene helping patients and co-workers. Now I get to watch his character die.

Damn.

I'll try to write up something more tomorrow after I've let reality set in. But right now I'm going to bed.

Damn.

2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Ya, I share the same feelings...since I'm goin to bed too, lemme just say that Anthony Edwards' performance was the best I've seen. I'm really gonna miss him.

On a side note, I wonder if writers are going to set up a storyline between Pratt, the new guy, and Gallant. Also, I wonder if Carter's character is gonna become the strong suit of ER while Dr. Corday fizzles out. The coming attractions look intense too. I love ER!

3. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

4. Leo Hinze

Leo Hinze Stunt Coordinator

Wow. Powerful stuff for me.
    I thought it was just me getting lumpy throat syndrome. I had to watch someone close to me make the decisions Mark did, and the episode brought back those memories. Glad to know others w/o that experience got verklempt too[​IMG]

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Definitely a bittersweet episode of Mark Greene's final day working in the ER. Mark got to vent a lot on his last day, and he got to make many people's lives a little bit better, which is the hallmark of his tenure, even when the odds were not in his favor. Poor Elizabeth, I felt so bad for her as she just stood there, in tears, after finding out Mark wanted no more therapy, and decided to go for quality of life over quantity of life. Can't say I blame Mark for being "selfish" in spite of having his 2 daughters and a wife, but given his experience in the ER, it's more than understandable he wants to go out on a high note, not wasting away on life support.

I'm glad the writers gave Mark a good last day in the ER (sure, the cases weren't great, but he got to leave ER on his own terms).

I thought Greene told Carter "It's your show to run now" or "You set the tone now" as he tossed the basketball to him as he walked away from County General.

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Indeed a moving episode. I liked seeing him showing the new doctor the ropes on his first day in the ER. Kinda bizarre having the ex-wife turn up for two minutes to show she's in denial. As far as I'm concerned, Edwards will always be remembered for his best performance in the show's best episode "Love's Labor Lost."

7. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

This episode left me [​IMG] Very powerful.
    I've only watched ER regularly for the past 4 seasons or so, and on and off before that. I'd put this episode right up there with the episode about the lady with eclampsia (the one where Bradley Whitford of The West Wing was a guest star) as one of the most emotionally powerful.
    I can't imagine what Greene's final episode is going to be like [​IMG]
    "I have a hangnail and it really hurts!"
    "I have a brain tumor. It's inoperable. I win!" [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Brian

8. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Uh, I don't think tonights episode is the last we'll see of Dr Greene. It's only his last workday at the hospital. The previews said a future show is his last. I, for one, am glad the writers are sending him out this way and not showing the bitter end. At least I hope that's the way they're going, otherwise it would be too difficult for me to watch - like watching your own family member go...

9. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    Gordon, I agree. This was not his last episode, just his last episode in the ER as a doctor. I thought it was pretty good. I liked the new cocky intern from the VA, especially when he couldn't tell the prostate cancer guy that he was going to die. Also, the foot lady at the end was classic. "I have an inoperable brain tumor, I win" and him venting on the drug addict who had the baby. You know everyone was thinking it.

Good episode. Sounds like the next new episode won't be for a couple of weeks.

10. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Second Unit

What are the chances of seeing Doug Ross, Carol Hathaway or Doc Benton make a return for Greene's sake before he exits for good?

11. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I'd say the chances are pretty good.

12. Stephen Teffner

In fact I think they will make an appearance for one episode, which is kinda nice. Kinda shows how the show has come full circle.

Did anyone notice the lady with the hangnail. That's the mother from the "Frightners".

Steve T.

13. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Well, I'm back to discuss this episode.

First let me say this was a very moving episode, and very fitting for his last day at the ER. Now I have this feeling that we will have to see him suffer much like we watched his dad suffer before he died. It's sad how Mark, his Mom, and his Dad have all died over the course of the show. Makes you wonder whether the family was cursed.

I think the new Doc will prove interesting. My take is that the roles have reversed for Carter. Where once he was the resident supervised by a cocky Dr., now he's supervising a resident much like his mentor. His new resident seems a lot like Benton as far as cockiness and attitude are concerned. After working with Benton for so long, I think Carter will be well-equiped to deal with the new guy.

Not a whole lot going on with the other characters just yet. I think that Abby is definitely heading for a relapse of her alcoholism. Will she drag both Luca and Carter with her?

Overall I'm excited about the show again, yet sad at the same time that Mark will be gone. He will be missed.

14. Steven L

Steven L Stunt Coordinator

It was sad to see Mark leave the ER, like closing a chapter on the show, but it was good the writers had him leave on his own terms. I also thought it was a nice touch to bring back some of his patients from the pilot episode.

From what I've heard the next two weeks are repeats - then the season ends with 4 new episodes from April 25 - May 16. The April 25th episode is a "crossover" (is that the correct term?) with Third Watch and will be continued on that show airing on April 29th.

I believe Mark's last episode will be the May 9th episode

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

How about getting Tom Cruise to show up to pay his last respects to Goose in the season finale of ER? (I have an over-active pop cultural mindset, I admit it).

16. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I remember reading somewhere that George Clooney was going to come back for 1 or 2 shows this season. This was a few months back. So if true it would probably be to see Greene before he died or for the funeral.

ps-I still think instead of killing him. He could have gone to work at that private practice that he interviewed for in the first episode. Full circle.

17. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Patrick

You're right. At the end Greene told Carter, "You set the tone."

I'll miss Goose.

18. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Damn I missed it. I hope they re-air it soon.

Jeff

19. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Wasn't the homeless guy with the buggy one of Mark's earliest patients?