4:3s that do the "SQUEEEZE" properly

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Bennett, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Auditioning

Ok, so I'm hearing lots on the forum regarding 4:3 TVs and how it is important to get a 4:3 that does the squeeze properly so that I will get the full 1080 lines of resolution when watching 16:9 HDTV programming albeit with black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. (Did I get all of that right?)
    Whew.
    So, which models are known the do the squeeze properly? (is this called the optical squeeze?) Is there a list posted some where that I can check?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Michael St. Clair

All of the 4:3 HD-ready Philips sets.
    This year's Toshiba 4:3 HD-ready sets, shipping now (they all have model numbers ending in '71').
    Sony sets ending in HSx0 (HS10, HS20, HS30).
    Some huge 4:3 Zenith with 9" guns that is hard to find.
    Some RCA sets, maybe? Not sure.

3. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

There are very few sets that do the 810i cheat, though there are many more that cannot squeeze for 480i, 480p, and 1080i input. Hitachi sets are known for doing the 810i cheat, with even one of their 16:9 sets dropping out one of every four scan lines instead of squeezing.
    A huge number of 4:3 direct view sets do proper squeezes, including Panasonic and Sony. I suspect that Sony direct view sets (and other direct view sets with aperture grills) do a better job of doing a vertical squeeze than shadow mask direct view sets.
    The new Toshiba 4:3 RPTV's squeeze 480i and 480p by upscaling to 540p, which the set thinks is 1080i (same timings), and Toshibas have long known how to squeeze 1080i. This seems completely retarded to me, and I would test for possible picture degradation before buying. The older Toshiba 4:3's know only how to squeeze 1080i.
    ------------------
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group
    [Edited last by Abdul Jalib on October 09, 2001 at 05:27 AM]

4. Tim M

Tim M Auditioning

abdul
    do you know which hitachi 4:3 sets cheat on 1080i