What's new

4:3 TV shows on my 16x9 TV (1 Viewer)

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Not sure where to best post this question but its something that has always bugged me.

When I display a 4x3 DVD (say an older TV show) on my 16x9 TV, the framing looks funny.

The two black vertical bars on either side are not straight. They have a slight curve in them.

When I watch a 4x3 TV program from Direct TV on this same set, the vertical black bars are perfectly straight.

Any idea what could be causing the spooning or concave affect on the black bars when watching a DVD vs Direct TV? The picture itself is not distorted in any way that I can tell, just the bars, which is distracting.

The TV is set in "normal" mode which is what it should be set for to watch 4:3 material unstretched.

Andy

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

Yah I agree, I just don't know what.

All other non 4x3 DVD's (both anamorphic and non anamorphic) look correct.

Andy

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

You don't say what kind of TV you have - CRT direct-view? CRT-based RPTV? LCD or Plasma Panel? LCD, LCoS, or DLP micro-display rear projection?

Depending on what you have, it could also be the TV. (I'd recommend posting the make and model for the TV, DVD player and DirecTV receiver. Also what kind of connection each is connected with - composite, S-video, composite, DVI, HDMI?)

If your TV is a non-CRT RPTV of some sort that stores different settings for each input, it is possible that the geometry is off on the input your DVD is connected to, but good for your DirecTV input.

Lots of variables here.

Regards,

Joe

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

This seems to make sense accept for the fact that the main part of the images look fine, its just the edge of the images (where the image meets the black bar) do things look out of whack.

Andy

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Andy, try swapping the component inputs. Put the DVD into HD2 and the DirectTV into HD1 and see if the DVD is still giving you problems.

If, all of a sudden, the Direct TV starts giving you problems, it could be something with the inputs or the color setting on HD1.

Too much color can cause 'blooming' - I'm not totally positive, but I think blooming (especially on older tv's) can cause image distortion.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Hi Mark,

That suggestion concerns me because the HD2 input is specifically chosen for "HD"(1080i) material and the HD1 input is specifically chosen for "DVD"(480p).

Hmm, I may try it anyway though! Thanks.

I have emailed Gregg Lowen who calibrated my set to look at this thread to see if he has any ideas...

Andy

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh, well that might even explain why they both differ. With an older TV (especially RPTV), since both inputs probably switch into different modes, perhpas one of the modes is getting old and worn?

My old Mits RPTV had massive convergence issues when in 480 mode, but it held better when in 1080 mode. Yeah, considering the differences in HD inputs, please don't try my idea without proper technical advice.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys!!

Andy, your TV's settings are shared between full and 4x3 while in 480i / p mode. If you fix for Full it will mess up 4x3 and visa versa.

Try doing 1 of 2 things:

Switch your player to interlaced mode
Switch your DVD player to output 4x3 in full mode (where the player will add the side bars.

It is most likely the latter suggestion that will fix your issue.

Regards

Gregg

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
My tv does the same thing: it's like looking at the image in an hourglass. My tv is a 4-5 y.o. Sanyo 80cm 16:9 CRT and the image does this whether I have DVD or broadcast input, so I figure it's just the set.

Someday soon I will hopefully get a 105cm plasma set, but until then I have to use "Natural Wide" mode to watch 4:3 content.

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
(Trying to remember from a thread about rear projection sets...) I believe this is an artifact of rear projection 16x9 TVs due to the lense projection.

Some sets are worse than others, probably related to the distance from the lense to the screen. Try doing a search on this subject at AVS if you do not find anything here.

jdg

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

Hi Gregg!

Thanks so much for the advice. I am going to try these two ideas tonight when I get home.

Obviously I would only do this for 4x3 discs, since all other types of discs look correct.

Question about method 1: Will the DVD player send interlaced via the progressive component outputs or do I have to hook up a different set of cables outputs to attempt this?

Andy

Doug_B

Screenwriter

I would be surprised if the vertical side bars of non-anamorphic widescreen (letterbox) material was not also distorted, assuming you kept the TV in the same aspect ratio mode as with 4:3 material (i.e., not using a zoom or stretch mode). Both material is essentially the same 4:3 ratio, with the non-anamorphic widescreen material filled with black bars on the top and bottom, basically wasted resolution.

Doug

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

Good point. I do use the zoom mode when watching a widescreen non anamorphic dvd so I would not be able to see this distortion on the edges.

Andy

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

Nope plenty of good and quick suggestions right here.

Just to fill in all the people who gave suggestions, no matter what I tried last night, I could not get rid of the hour glass issue when using the progressive outputs.

I changed, one by one, every DVD setting I could find that had to do with the picture but nothing worked.

So I finally put all the settings back to how they were originally and simply hooked up an s-video cable. The problem went away when using the svideo input on my tv.

I am happy with this solution. I created a new activity on my Harmony remote specifically for 4:3 DVD's that will use the s-video path and all others will use the normal 480p component path.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions!

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks