What's new

4:3 RPTVs? (1 Viewer)

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
I watch WAY too much Star Trek to give up my 4:3 aspect ratio, but I'm going to be purchasing a new TV for my new house when I move in... The 27" Samsung has served me well for a couple of years, and will continue to do so in my bedroom, but I definately need something a little bigger and better for my home theater.

Minimum size is not really an issue... 47" is fine by me. My main restraints are cost (~$2000) and it has to be 4:3 for my ever-growing Star Trek DVD collection... not so much for cable TV, but I do watch some cable.

I'm looking at the Mitsubishi VS-50111... anyone recommend a Sony or Toshiba or something else over this one?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
John, I am willing to bet I watch as much Star Trek as you do. In no way would I consider a set that wasn't either 16:9 natively or 16:9-capable. JB

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I can live with letterboxed DVDs... especially on a screen that size, but I DEFINATELY could not deal with a distorted-size picture with 4:3 sources...

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Take a look at the Sony 53HS30 which is 53" 4:3 HDTV ready and does the vertical squeeze for 16:9 DVD and HD. They are running just over $2K on sale at Sears and CC and occasionally go to $1899. Also, if you have a 10% BB or Tweeter coupon than that would certainly help.
There is also a Panasonic 4:3 that was going for around $1400 at Sams Club but I think it has some limitations on vertical squeeze - can't remember what. The set looked pretty good for the price though.
As I understand it the internal CRTs and the electronics in the 16:9 sets are the same as in the corresponding 4:3, only the 16:9 is permanently sqeezed and all standard 4:3 NTSC will go thru an extra zoom process which degrades it a bit more.
A 53" 4:3 results in approxiamately 48-49" 16:9 diagonal which is close to a 51" 16:9. If you plan to watch alot of DVD's you may want to consider a 57" 16:9 and compromise the 4:3. The 16:9 will give you more of a visual impact on widescreen material and 57" does give you that feel, assuming you can accomodate the size. The other thing to know is that the new DVI connection is only available on the new 16:9 sets. But I figure by the time DVI (and potential HDCP downrez consequences)gets widespread it's time to upgrade.
If I had a budget of $4-5K I would go for 4:3 HD RPTV or Direct view and a digital projector with a pulldown screen. Can use the PJ during the evening if your room is not light controlled for some serious 100" widescreen viewing :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No need to fear, there is still a good selection of 4:3 TVs. For direct-view TVs, there are models from Sony, Toshiba and Panasonic, along with others (both HDTV and regular). It seems the cost-savings between a regular TV and an HDTV compat. set is pretty large so I'm not sure what gain there is in getting an HDTV direct-view currently.

For RPTVs, there is the Toshiba 50H72 (I may get this), along with models from Sony, RCA, Hitachi, and Panasonic. These are all HDTV compat. and offer the "squeeze" for DVDs. There are non-HDTV RPTVs too, but the savings seems much smaller, proportionally, than with direct-view sets, and many advise getting the HDTV set for the line-doubler (for DVDs).

Let us know what you get! Since my next TV will be 4:3 as well, I'm curious what others find with these sort of sets.

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the posts guys!
Gil-- i don't think I made it clear... at least 60% of my viewing on this will be my Star Trek DVDs. 4:3 clarity is an absolute requirement... i CAN NOT get a 16:9 set, as it would ruin my Star Trek habits. :D
I'm not exactly familiar with the "squeeze" function, but from what I gather it essentially puts all the lines of resolution into a widescreen picture, so that none are lost in the black bars above and below, correct? This would be a definate plus for movies(which accounts for the other 40% of the use)... does the Mitsubishi offer that?
Do you think I should wait until the DVI thing settles out? I don't want to be stranded with an non-compatible TV if I decide to get HDTV later. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks