4:3 RPTVs?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Darren H, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

I'll soon be in the market for a mid-sized RPTV that will be used mostly for watching television and DVDs. Because of the amount of television I'll be watching, and because the majority of my DVDs are 1.33:1 and 1.66:1, I'm planning to buy a 4:3 set that has a 16:9 mode. I'm looking closely at the Hitachi 53F300, but I'm wondering what others I should consider. Any pointers?

Thanks.

2. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Surely I'm not the last person left who sees the value of owning a 4:3 television? Some background . . .

My wife and I just put in a contract on a home, and I have a two-stage HT process in mind. First, our formal living room has built-in bookshelves with a space reserved for an RPTV. That's the hole I plan to fill with this TV. It will probably be used 95% of the time for watching TV. Second, I'll be setting up a dedicated theater with projector in the basement.

3. Dustin Harrison

Dustin Harrison Stunt Coordinator

Sorry I don't have any pointers for a 4:3 RPTV, but have you checked out epinions.com? Some good unbiased reviews on that site that may point you in the right direction.

4. DouglasBr

DouglasBr Stunt Coordinator

There was a relatively inexpensive Philips model at Costco recently. I believe it was a 60" model for ~$1400, but I can't attest to its quality. Hope that helps!

5. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Thanks for the help, guys. It's been so long since I was last in the market for a TV that I'd forgotten about epinions. Yesterday I visited Best Buy, Circuit City, and both high-end AV shops in my area, and I found one 4:3 RPTV for sale -- the Sony KP-53HS30. It looks like it should do the trick.