What's new

4:3 RPTVs? (1 Viewer)

Darren H

Second Unit
I'll soon be in the market for a mid-sized RPTV that will be used mostly for watching television and DVDs. Because of the amount of television I'll be watching, and because the majority of my DVDs are 1.33:1 and 1.66:1, I'm planning to buy a 4:3 set that has a 16:9 mode. I'm looking closely at the Hitachi 53F300, but I'm wondering what others I should consider. Any pointers?

Thanks.

Darren H

Second Unit
Surely I'm not the last person left who sees the value of owning a 4:3 television? Some background . . .

My wife and I just put in a contract on a home, and I have a two-stage HT process in mind. First, our formal living room has built-in bookshelves with a space reserved for an RPTV. That's the hole I plan to fill with this TV. It will probably be used 95% of the time for watching TV. Second, I'll be setting up a dedicated theater with projector in the basement.

Dustin Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry I don't have any pointers for a 4:3 RPTV, but have you checked out epinions.com? Some good unbiased reviews on that site that may point you in the right direction.

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
There was a relatively inexpensive Philips model at Costco recently. I believe it was a 60" model for ~$1400, but I can't attest to its quality. Hope that helps!

Darren H

Second Unit
Thanks for the help, guys. It's been so long since I was last in the market for a TV that I'd forgotten about epinions. Yesterday I visited Best Buy, Circuit City, and both high-end AV shops in my area, and I found one 4:3 RPTV for sale -- the Sony KP-53HS30. It looks like it should do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks