4:3 on a 16:9 screen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NateF, Aug 28, 2001.

1. NateF

NateF Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a refurbished Electrohome ECP 4100 and a 103" 16:9 screen. Now, I want movies to use the whole screen, because I watch more movies than anything else. That's easy enough... but now when I show a 4:3 source, it bleeds off the top and bottom of the screen a lot. This was to be expected, but I was wondering if there is any easy way to make the projector shrink 4:3 images so they fit on the screen (not squeezed, but using the whole height and not all the width). Any suggestions?
    -Nate

2. Jon_Mx

Jon_Mx Agent

I take it your projector has no zoom and you can't move it easily, so a lens may be your best solution. You need to shrink the 4:3 image size down by 25% to fit in the 16:9 area. Another solution may be an HTPC, I don't own one though, but I would think it might be able to do this.

3. NateF

NateF Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, it's a CRT projector, so it can only change the image size by about 10%, not nearly enough. I can't afford to spend another $1000+ on a HTPC right now, unfortunately - I pretty much put myself in the poor house with this purchase. I was hoping there was some function on the projector or iScan or something that I had missed.
    -Nate