4:3 mode in Samsung HLP5063

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Parsh Patel, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Parsh Patel

Parsh Patel Auditioning

I received our new Samsung HLP 5063 today and have one immediate question. In 4:3 mode, the picture on the screen in not perfectly rectangular. The base is slightly longer than the top of the screen. For now, I have not calibrated it and am just running s-video from my receiver to the television. (I will be getting a DVD and HD reciever with component videos at which point I'll send the video signal directly to the television.)

My questions:

1. Will the slight distortion be corrected if I calibrate using Avia or will a professional calibration solve the problem?

2. Is this a common issue with the Samsung or DLPs in general?

If the answer to the above is no and no, I'll return the tv.

2. matt mettin

matt mettin Auditioning

the offset Could be corrected with avia. but the best picture will be attained with a true HD signal viewed in wide screen.

3. Fredster

Fredster Stunt Coordinator

I have the HLP6163 and I don't see this distortion in 4:3 mode. I don't think you can calibrate this out from the user menus either.

4. John S

John S Producer

Maybe, I have seen this on the majority of Samsungs I have viewed on. I'd be curious once you figure it out though. Not just a general geometry issue either, sometimes just one side not being straight when veiwing 4:3 stuff. Usually the right side.

I have a friend that has been just living with this one.