4:3 Material on Lock-in-full TV

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by David_D, Dec 8, 2003.

1. David_D

David_D Stunt Coordinator

What players will compensate for televisions that lock in full mode with progressive input? Specifically, I know some players will "pillarbox" the material, or adjust the 4:3 image so that it has the correct aspect ration when displayed in full mode. I need to find out what players I can choose from to have this feature. (I want to minimize the need to switch in and out of progressive.)

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

All of the JVC DVD players support the "pillarbox" display of 4:3 titles for 16:9 displays, you can setup in the menu if you want that or not. I also found the new Mitsubishi DD-8040 has this feature. I haven't found any other models with it.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Panasonic RP-91. Will also allow manual scaling of non-anamorphic titles that are flagged incorrectly (i.e. Titanic), which the JVC's will not do.

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

RP91 all the way.

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

JVCs also support excellent quality scaling for non-anamorphic or other DVDs.

6. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

The Denon DVM-4800 is a 5-disc version of the Panny RP-91. I bought one just for the purpose you're describing. However, given the state of my current DVM-4800, I would not recommend the Denon. [​IMG]

7. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The Bravo D1 does pillarboxing of 4:3 as well as scaling for non-anamorphic discs. It also has 1080i and 720p output over DVI. The liteon 2001 does everything the bravo does but over component instead of DVI. I replaced an RP91 w/ a Bravo D1 and the PQ gain of DVI was noticable but not a die-without feature.

8. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Toshiba SD 430V

9. David_D

Thanks for the suggestions. Of course, more are welcome. I was aware of the RP91 and Denon 4800, but decided they (especially the Denon) are too expensive for me. The RP91 is now a bit hard to find as well.

Regarding JVC, I'd be interested in hearing more. I admit I'm a bit hesitant, partially because I heard mixed reviews on JVC players, and partially due to some past bad experiences with JVC.

Toshiba is the big surprise. I'm not aware of that model. I wonder...is it a Canadian model? I wonder if US progressive Toshiba players also have that feature. I currently have two Toshiba players in the house. One is a first generation player, and still works like a champ.

10. Kwang Suh

The cheapie Toshiba SD430V is fairly new. I think it was just released - the model I had was manufactured in September 2003.

It has no chroma bug. Fairly quick navigation for a Toshiba. Has aspect ratio control, blacker than black and passes pluge (finally), and zoom. I returned it though, because it had a fatal flaw - the drive was incredibly loud. But perhaps that was just a defect with the one I bought - I've heard airplanes that were quieter.

I have a Toshiba SD4900 that I'm currently waffling on. It also has no chroma bug, but no aspect ratio control.

11. David_D

OK - Between price and capabilities, it sounds like JVC may be the way to go. Besides pillarboxing, it sounds like I can get full aspect ratio control for non-enhanced widescreen movies.

The problem is - JVC seems to have a lot of models. Which are the best, I wonder? Recommendations are welcome from the JVC veterans out there.

Thanks.

12. Kwang Suh

Noooooo!!! The JVCs SUCK. It has the worst progressive picture I've seen in ages - it had aliasing, clay faces, and a generally soft picture.

If I were you, I'd wait a little while longer.

13. MichaelOD

MichaelOD Stunt Coordinator

i just purchased an sd430v as a xmas gift for the significant other's TV and was wondering if you guys knew whether the player supported DTS? i just noticed as i was looking @ the future shop webpage that it says that DTS is not supported!

gross oversight on my part if this is in fact the case...so i ask this question because the player is already wrapped and i cannot find any other information on the internet related to this product - please help!

one more thing...for anyone who is using this player, how's its performance?

thanks!

14. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

The JVCs do not suck.

I've got the JVC 5 disc XV-FA900BK and also 2 RP91s, all running on a Toshiba widescreen RPTV, and they both look fine.

The only issue I have w/the JVC is that it's slow to change layers sometimes.

I'm not sure what long-term reliability will be, but I only paid $275 for mine, and I'm sure they are way cheaper now.

I prefer the RP91, but as someone said, they're getting hard to find. I'm not sure how easy it is to find the JVCs anymore. I think Ultimate Electronics still has them, but I haven't seen them online for a while.

Mike

15. Kwang Suh

16. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

17. Kwang Suh

Unfortunately that model is not available in Canada, so I haven't tested it. I can say with certainty that the models available here are plain awful.

18. MichaelOD

MichaelOD Stunt Coordinator

thanks kwang suh for the reply. it looks like a fine player. i just wanted something half decent. for my setup i'm using an rp82, so i wasn't expecting this player to come close to it; but its comforting to know that for the price, the performance will be more than adequate for who its being purchased for.

i'm curious as to why some models are only available in the US and vice versa here in Canada?