4:3 Big Sceens that offer native 16:9 mode?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John S, Jan 28, 2004.

1. John S

John S Producer

I found out something last night about my new Philips, that sort of burns my ass.

It clearly states everywhere in both pre-sales litterature and the manual. That a native widescreen mode is available for the HD 480p/1080i component video input.

But in reality, that mode is only available for 1080i source on that input.

480p locks into full 4:3 mode, no way to switch it.

My question is this:

Is there a way to defeat this in the service menu for my 480p sources? I don't want to be able to switch it, I just want to be able to play 1:78 movies and wider with the player set for a 16:9 AR tv, just as I do with my HI-Def 1080i sources. I would relagate my other player for Pan & scan dvd duty at that point.

I suppose the other answer for me, would be to find a DVD player that scales to 1080i out the Component Video out.

Thanks in advance...

2. nick_rh

nick_rh Stunt Coordinator

Have you tried switching your DVD player to output 16x9? Should be in the setup menu. If you activate that, maybe the TV will auto-detect the anamorphic picture and switch into 16x9 mode.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

As Nick says, enable your player's 16:9-output mode. In cases involving 4:3 displays without a 16:9 "squeeze" mode, the correct player output should be 4:3 letterbox.

But if your RPTV has a raster-collapse mode, then your player should be set to 16:9.

4. John S

John S Producer

I do understand, how to set it....

On the HD Component 480p/1080i input it allows for Native Widescreen, I have to switch the TV manually to do this.

Works great for HD sources, but on 480p sources it actually "Locks Full" and I cannot switch it.

I was thinking from the service menu, I could sort of force this on 480p sources on that input somehow.

It is probably not an option though. A scale'n DVD player outputting 1080i would work I have no doubt.

On a positive note, the new DCDi player does seem a little better on the jaggies for sure. But I am getting a better anamorphic squeeze when I use the 480i component video inputs allowing the TV to perform the progressive scan.

Just seemed like there may have been a way to sort of trick it in the service menu. Duplicating the geometry produced from the 16:9 squeeze mode (Native Widescreen) that is available on 1080i sources on that input is all.

5. John S

John S Producer

I am getting close to having 200 hours on the set, I am planning on having it professionally calibrated soon, I will re-visit this with the calibrationist...

Right now here is what I am faced with....

480i component video allowing the tv to do the progressive scan: More jaggies, but what looks like good anamorphic squeeze on 1:78 content and wider.

-vs-

480p component video with nearly no jaggies, yet what appears to be no anamorphic squeeze at all on 1:78 content and wider.

Both still look quite remarkable overall though....

Is there a list of known DVD players the will scale to 1080i out the component video ports, I would be hope'n for DCDi in such a player as well???

Actually what I would really like is the above, and SACD and DVD-A also.....