4:3 and wide screen Display

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MarkMel, Feb 7, 2005.

1. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

This past weekend I spent in a ski house that had a Hitachi wide-screen RPTV.

I am thinking of getting a nice wide-screen display in the near future and I wondering how most of you view 4:3 material on your wide-screen displays?

I don't know if I could get used to the horizontally stretched look that I had the opportunity to experience this past weekend.

What are the most popular viewing options?

2. John S

John S Producer

Hmm, I don't think one will be more popular than any other. This is totally preference. I choose letter boxed, correct aspect ratio myself. Maybe a little zoom crop to help fill more of the screen. But I personally could never choose anything that stretches any part of the picture.

3. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

I’m stuck on 16.9 now, and of course do watch 4:3 on it. One reason I chose my Sony was it had pretty good zoom modes in comparison to some other manuf zoom at the time. At a HD resolution (720p/1080i) displays will lock into “Full” No problem on the HD feeds since the aspect ratio is correct or letterboxed/pillared, to be correct if the original is 4:3 based. Since I view most channels via Direct* this causes me to do some creative changing when watching something longer like a movie which is sent by D* in SD, to get the pic pleasing to me. I find if I watch in the 4:3 box on my 16:9 over time I get ‘used’ to it. But normally much prefer trying to ‘fill’ my display screen using a stretch mode, and avoiding the pillars.

The convenience of how I do all my reshaping is highly dependent on the different parts of the whole, and the quality of the units’ capability when passing a SD signal. Currently my STB (sat box) has a resolution button on the remote. (My mother who has the same display but different Sat box, and remote) has to get up, cross the room and flip a switch on the satellite box to toggle her resolutions. Which she will not do and does not understand. She just watches ‘however’ it comes up on the screen.

For me, I often drop the resolution into 480i, and if that particular channel is of high enough quality, then use the Sony display zoom modes to size the 4:3 without stretch into full screen. I do get cropping (sometimes very tops of heads) normally in this conf. If the resolution is too grainy on that feed/channel. I bump back up to 720p and use the 4:3 box.

4. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

I bought a RP-LCD. 4:3 material is pillarboxed.