4:3, 16:9 or Native

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark_AK, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Mark_AK

Ok I'm new to the Home Theater stuff and have a question. I just got an InFocus ScreenPlay 4800, I know the new version is out but I got the 4800 on a trade.

What mode should I run the projector in? I've been messing with the setting with both broadcast TV and DVD's with 1.85 and 2.35 Aspect ratio's. After messing with them I am more confused then ever.

For broadcast TV I can get a much larger image with the projector set to 4:3 but when I switch to a DVD and change the aspect ratio to 16:9 the image aspect ratio it off. The only way it looks right is when I run it in native mode.

But running the projector in native mode it seems like I'm not useing the full potental(sp) of the projector.

Please help?

2. Jim Mcc

Jim
    Mark, it depends on whether you have a 4:3 or 16:9 screen.
    Which do you have? I also have the X1(4800).

3. Mark_AK

I don't have a screen yet, but I plan on making a 16:9 screen, I just don't know what size to make it.

4. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I had the X1 (same as 4800) until I upgraded to the 4805, and I ran it on a 16 X 9 screen. I had my DVD player output set to 16:9, and the same for the projector's setting. That is how I watched 95% of my DVD's. However, I sometimes had to switch to 4:3 for one of my few non-anamorphic DVDs.

If I watched regular television through the VCR I had the X1 set on Native so it would have a 4:3 picture inside of my screen, with bars on the sides. If I ran it in 4:3 mode, it would show above and below my screen on the wall. And if the show I was watching was shown in 16X9, like ER or Crossing Jordan, I'd put the projector in 4:3 mode to fill my screen. Those are the SD broadcasts as my HDTV tuner doesn't pick up signals too well. I think it has to do with the way my antennae is mounted.

I hope that makes sense and helps you out. [​IMG]

5. Mark_AK

Thanks that post helped alot.

Also after playing with my projector for a day now I think I figured out the issues I was having.

6. Jim Mcc

Jim
    Mark, you want to make your screen size half as wide as you're seating distance(7' wide for 14' seating distance).
    With a 16:9 screen, you keep it in 16:9 mode for all widescreen DVD's, and for 4:3 DVD's or programming, you set it to native. Native centers the image on your 16:9 screen.

7. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I'm glad things are working out now.[​IMG]

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph