4.1 Divas sound and mounting question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Sharp, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Chris Sharp

Chris Sharp Agent

Hi,

I am looking into putting together my first HT in the very near future. After reading the reviews on the Divas and seeing the sale price I have pretty much decided on the following:

Onkyo 600

Diva 4.1 towers

Diva C3 center

Diva 2.1 surround

and perhaps the HSU VTF-2 or an SVS sub in the future

2 questions:

1. Can anyone suggest how the Divas sound compared to a set of speakers that I could go listen to in a store? I would like to get get some ideas so that I can go down to the local store and make sure I am getting the right speakers for me. Or, do the Divas blow away anything I would find in the stores? :)

2. I am going to be mounting the 2.1s on the back wall. Anyone have any suggestions for the type of hardware I should used to mount them. I really have no room for speaker stands that would sit on the floor so I am looking for a wall mount of some sort.

Thanks for all the advice!

Chris

2. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

At twice their price point and beyond, the Divas equalled or outperformed all the other B&M speakers I have auditioned. As I mentioned in a thread the other day, I was recently in my high end dealers for some accessories, and all the speakers I used to drool over were now just a yawn. The B&W N series are definitely up there, but are so much more expensive, and they use metal tweeters to the Diva fabric ones. Otherwise, they would be the only ones I like that can be had locally. I love the sound and build quality of the B&W's.

Sears has Vogel mounts in several different models that can be used to mount the 2.1's. There is currently a picture of some wall mounted 2.1's that can be seen at AVS in the "Unofficial Diva Thread" on the last page.

3. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Chris,

Go to audioenvy.com and see if there's anyone in your area that may be willing to let you audition their Diva's.

4. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Chris;

I have the exact same setup that you're contemplating right now paired with an SVS 16-46PC (with the newly improved driver). I sort of bought the speakers on a whim when I saw that they were on sale, but I'm glad I did. I am completely and utterly satisfied with the way they sound in every respect. I have not felt that way about a speaker for a very long time. The short of it is, I can't see myself replacing these things any time soon. Yes, they sound good enough to squish the upgrade bug.

But how do they compare to other speakers you could hear in a good home theater store? Well, the best comparison I can make is with the Paradigm Studio 20s. Now, I'm not saying that the Divas sound like those at all, because they don't. The Paradigms use a metal dome tweeter and the Divas use a silk dome one. Therefore the Paradigms will sound a little brighter, and to some ears, a little more detailed. (Others might say that they sound harsh, but that's more of a matter of preference.) The Divas are fully capable of producing a sweet detailed sound with a crisp high-end. At the same time, they have a fullness and warmth that I like, making them suitable for extended listening sessions.

I won't make any claims that they sound as good or better than speakers costing several times their price. I will say this however: The money you spend on all five speakers, especially during this ongoing sale, will be well spent. Match them up with an SVS and you will own a home theater system that can impress the most hardened audiophile. Now all I need to do is get a better amp to power them, and I won't be able to erase the grin from my lips.

As for mounting the 2.1s, I can't really help you out with that. I have mine sitting on speaker stands. Good luck on getting that done though.

5. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

And now that I've done some digging, I realize that I had recently contacted you about the Home Theater Direct speakers I'm trying to sell. When I last heard from you, you said that you were giving my offer some serious thought. Can I assume now that I've completely dissauded you from going with HTD? [​IMG]

6. Chris Sharp

Chris Sharp Agent

Jeffrey,
    Good book keeping skills Jeffrey! [​IMG]
    Yeah, after reading your reply and several others, the HTD's sounded like a great value, but I heard from many including yourself that the upgrade bug will come a knocking. That's not to say that it won't come a knocking with respect to the Divas, I just hope to be able to fend it off longer. [​IMG]
    I figured if I am going to be investing my hard earned cash, I don't want to have any regrets...this is going to be a long term investment.
    Thank you for your advice and continuous posts, you have helped me become more educated in making my HT decisions. Best of luck selling the HTD's....sorry I couldn't have helped you out there.
    Chris

7. Rob Higgins

Rob Higgins Agent

Chris-
    As far as mounting your 2.1's to the wall...check out this thread I started on AVS forum concerning the exact same situation. I ended up just getting the 4.1's and C3 (I live in an appt and really didn't have the room for a 5.1 setup).
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...336#post974336
    Good Luck,
    Rob