$4,000...what can I get?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by greg149, Oct 7, 2006.

1. greg149

greg149 Auditioning

I have about $4,000 to spend for my projector. It will be in a dedicated media room 16ft x 15ft. Most of usage will be for sports with some movies and regular tv.

What is the price that 1080 begins to show up.....and should I even consider 1080?

This is my first media/theater room setup, so I don't know much...any help would be appreciated.

Also, how much difference does the screen make.....how much should I spend for my $4k projector setup?

Thanks, greg

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Is $4,000 just for projector? First you need to decide if you want a DLP or LCD projector. Will you have the room dark when using projector? I think the cheapest 1080p projector is the $4,500 Mitsubishi 5000. I recommend a 720p projector with your budget. You can make your own screen, or paint one, and save a lot of money. That's what I did. Do you want a fixed screen or a pulldown?

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The Pearl is right there close to $4K I think if you do your shopping right (AVS), I would look really hard at something like that. 1080p LCOS with a DI.

Couple that with something like the highpower screen and you should be in business.

4. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

If your budget is around $4K for the projector I second the motion to seriously consider the Sony VPL-VW50 (aka "The Pearl"). While it lists for $4999, power buys, etc. will get you within a few hundred dollars of $4K and, all things considered, it is definitely the best bang for the buck right now. LCoS (Sony calls it "SXRD") 1080p, 1080p/60/24 input and a host of other features make it the standout right now in the $4-5K budget range.