What's new

$4,000...what can I get? (1 Viewer)

greg149

Auditioning
Real Name
greg
I have about $4,000 to spend for my projector. It will be in a dedicated media room 16ft x 15ft. Most of usage will be for sports with some movies and regular tv.

What is the price that 1080 begins to show up.....and should I even consider 1080?

This is my first media/theater room setup, so I don't know much...any help would be appreciated.

Also, how much difference does the screen make.....how much should I spend for my $4k projector setup?

Thanks, greg

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Is $4,000 just for projector? First you need to decide if you want a DLP or LCD projector. Will you have the room dark when using projector? I think the cheapest 1080p projector is the $4,500 Mitsubishi 5000. I recommend a 720p projector with your budget. You can make your own screen, or paint one, and save a lot of money. That's what I did. Do you want a fixed screen or a pulldown?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The Pearl is right there close to $4K I think if you do your shopping right (AVS), I would look really hard at something like that. 1080p LCOS with a DI.

Couple that with something like the highpower screen and you should be in business.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If your budget is around $4K for the projector I second the motion to seriously consider the Sony VPL-VW50 (aka "The Pearl"). While it lists for $4999, power buys, etc. will get you within a few hundred dollars of $4K and, all things considered, it is definitely the best bang for the buck right now. LCoS (Sony calls it "SXRD") 1080p, 1080p/60/24 input and a host of other features make it the standout right now in the $4-5K budget range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks