What's new

4.0 GB San Disk Memory card, question.. (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hey all,

I was thinking of purchasing a 3.5" All in One Media reader for my home built machine, so I could save money on CD's. Every now and then I'll pre tape a local radio show, bring it to work the next day, and listen too it to pass time. This would be a good solution as my laptop already had a media reader built in, but my home computer does not...

Question though.

When I try to burn edited HDTV material to DVD, in mpeg form, it tells me that it has gone over some limit and won't burn to the disk. If I get this 4GB memory disk, could I transfer one HDTV show at a time, since they usually come in at 3.5 GB's per hour, to the san disk memory chip?

If that made any sense, thanks for the help :)
Neil

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Grab a 60gb ipod/zen instead and you can get a lil bit more freedom with transferring files. They act as another removable drive once you plug it in.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hmm, looking at one now...

has anyone tried transfering HDTV mpeg files to an ipod before? I'll have to write down what that exact message was when I tried to burn the file to DVD..

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
the ipod can be used as a removable disk drive, so it's no different than putting any other kind of data on a drive.

CJ

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Wait a minute...DVD's hold up to 4.7GB, so if it didn't fit on DVD, I would say it most definitely won't fit on a 4GB memory card.

Unless there's another reason your DVD solution is bombing out.How big are the files exactly? How long are they? Do they need to be at a high quality?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
The file "C:LettermanFerguson.mpg" has exceeded the ISO 9660 file system limitation (4GB). It will not be included when burning the disc. Do you want to

That's the Error I got when trying to make a Data Disc out of it. And I got my facts mixed up. It was a 6.5 GB file on one dual layer disc for an hour show..

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
you're using fat32, and the filesize limitation. this means, no single file may be 4GB or larger.

transcode it down to 3.9 GB to get around the fat32 limitation.

CJ

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hmm, Ok. THat's what I'm going to have to do then... Question though.

I was thinking of getting a 320GB external hard drive. If I format that to NTFS, and try to copy a file from fat 32 drive, to the new ntfs, would that work, or am I still stuck? In that case, I may have to program it to record it directly to the new external to get around that limitation..

Too bad there's no way to change it from fat 32 to ntfs without a reformat. Normally I don't mind reformating, but with all these damn limited activation software things I have, it makes it very annoying to reformat when a problem arises.

Too bad there's no legal way to beat the companies at their own game and get around it if you make a legal purchase..

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Heh, as I was going along in my weird thoughts, I thought it would be nice to have a backup hard drive for all my Tapes converted to DVD. So it went from transfering HDTV files to a portable device for watching on the laptop, to backing up my entire library of shows...

Thanks for the link
:)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hmm, most interesting. It says drive C: is already NTFS...

I typed in convert C: /fs:ntfs as instructed....So why would the 4GB limitation still be coming up?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
ISO 9660 is the DVD/CD format, and it has the 4GB limit for individual files. Try the newer UDF format, which does not have that limitation.

For DVD-Video, the .vob files are cut into 1GB chunks, so they avoid the problem entirely.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Thanks, I'll give it a shot later tonight after work.

It's kind of sad. i've been into computers since the Mac 2c+( I beleive it was called), and that game where a frog ate numbers :)...

Fast Forward 13 years later, and I'm still learning new, simple things ;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, this thread may have just answered a different question I had a while ago.

It seems that (in Easy CD Creator), that once you put 4GB+ worth of info on a DVD, it doesn't allow "open" discs. It will only burn it as a closed session. Even with several files (amounting to 4GB and over) it only burns "closed". It sounds like there's a correlation to that "No individual file over 4GB" and closing the DVD after exceeding 4GB...

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
that game is number munchers, and i honestly believe it's the reason i am exceptional at mental math calculations.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks