1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

3rd sono can someone help please?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Tilley, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Ok this will be my 3rd go at a sonosub, but this time I'm going to take my time & make this one a piece of eye candy.

So heres the deal I have a Dayton 15"DVC & PE 250watt plate amp that I will be using. I plan to use a 20" diameter sonotube & would like to tune it around 16 to 20hz.
    What height would I need to make it & what size port or port's would I need to use.
    This time I'm going to go all out to make this one something that really gets attion. I plan on laminating the sono in real Oak veneer & finishing both end caps in high gloss black lacquer. I have already started my legs for it which are nothing like I've seen anyone do yet.
    I just cant resist building another one. I got in a hurry with my other two just to have a sub, but this time I will be building it wile I have a working sub so I wont be in such a hurry to get it done.

Anyway I have done some searching around here & got a few ideas on some things that may work but I wont to be sure what would.
    One that I had found somewhere around here was a 20" by 50" sono with a 6"by 20" port which tuned it around 18hz if I remember right. This may not be quite right but I'm pretty sure that was what I seen.
    Would this work with what I have? Thanks for any help..

2. Joe Tilley

Bump

3. Joe Tilley

Oh well I guess Ill just guesstamate it and hope it works.
    Thanks anyway.[​IMG]

4. Joe Tilley

Ok one last try, Anyone please. I just ordered a 20" by 6'sonotube today & I'm supposed to get it sat. Would the sizes above work out or will I need to do something different. I would prefer to keep the tube at 50"to 54" but will go longer if I need to, I wont to tune this one as low as I can.

I will be using a Dayton 15" DVC sub & PE 250watt plate amp.
    Thanks for anyones help.

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You should really take the time to figure out LspCAD or WinISD Pro and some basic math stuff Joe, but here you go. Three possible allignments that should all work well.

All tube heights assume the tube is exactly 20" in diameter. Likely not true, you should measure the tubes circumfrence and figure out the exact radius and includes 1" of space for each endcap. 6" port in all cases as well.

180L tuned to 19hz will require a 28" long port and 40.3" long tube

220L tuned to 18hz will require a 25" long port and 47.75" long tube

280L tuned to 16hz will require a 25" long port and 59.5" long tube

6. Joe Tilley

Thank you Dustin. I have tried to use LspCAD but my computer is such a piece of crap I get sick of waiting for it to load things like that. That & the fact that I'm not very computer smart other than knowing how to get to a web site Im pretty screwed.

Thanks again for your help. I will be borrowing my buddies dig cam so I can put up some picks of this one,I think this one just might impress someone :b

7. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

Joe,

I don't know if you have finished this sub project yet, but I was wondering if you ever had any replies regarding veneering the tube. I have thought about this, but do not recall seeing anyone who has done it.

Does anyone know how feasible wrapping the tube with veneer would be? Is it possible?

Thanks.

8. Joe Tilley

Jeff, I do have the sono finished Dustin B posted the picks for me not long ago. I never did get any replies back about finishing it with veneer but I'm getting ready to do it here soon. I settled on covering it with Birch & will be finishing it in a light stain with a high gloss resin. I'm not sure what the stuff is called my grandfather showed it to me on some different things & it looks very nice. I asked him about it cracking or anything like that & he said I shouldn't have anything to worrie about. And for a man that has done wood work for 50+ years I thing I can trust his opion[​IMG]
    Hopefully I will be getting done with the last details soon, I'm just a little tight on cash right know. As soon as I get it finished I will be getting some more pictures up & let everyone know how it went.

9. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

Joe,

Thanks for the info....I will be eagerly waiting to see how covering the tube with veneer will do.

10. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Joe, my concern with veneer would be getting enough contact cement on the tube for good adhesion. I think that cardboard would soak up the cement like a sponge. I recommend experimenting with a scrap section of tube. Apply a coat of contact cement to the scrap and wait 15 minutes, then apply a second coat and wait 15 minutes. If it then appears that there is very little cement remaining on the surface, apply another coat. Then apply a coat to the back of a piece of veneer, wait 15 and apply the veneer to the tube. Let it sit overnight and then test the adhesion. I've never veneered over cardboard, so I don't have a clue how it would work - might need four coats - who knows?

11. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Maybe a primer would work on the bare cardboard?

12. Joe Tilley

My first sono I built I had used contact cement on it with no trouble, but I wasn't using veneer either though.
    It dose take a couple of coats to cover it good as it dose soak it up a little. I didn't notice any negative effects on the sono so I think it should be ok with veneer I hope.

It looks like I will be waiting for a couple more weeks to get it done ( the wife said no go right now ) I may just hold off until tax time & do it in the Birds Eye Maple that I really wont instead but I would like to get something on it soon so who knows what will happen.

13. Thy Luc

Thy Luc Agent

Where do you order sonotube from? heh

14. Harold A

Harold A Stunt Coordinator

Thy,

You can usually find sonotube locally. Call around to all the cement contractors/suppliers you see in the phonebook. I had to call about 20 before I finally found it.

Also, where do you live?

15. Joe Tilley

Thy, I too had to call around to several places before I found anyone who could get it for me. Like Harold said try out contractor supply places for the big stuff 16" & up. I found mine at a place called Star Building Supply that deals with mostly brick & concrete supplies.
    You should be able to find smaller 8" & 12" sono at places like Lowe's & Home Depo but that is the biggest you will most likely get from them.