What's new

3rd Rock from the Sun - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

SandiLand

Grip
Hey everyone...I just heard 3rd Rock season 2 is coming out on DVD. I have season 1 and it’s hilarious! Has anyone heard anything about when season 2 will be out?

Josh_HI

Second Unit
And also~~

Will it come with a pair of 3d glasses?

Will the box talk like Season 1?

Will Best Buys copies come with exclusive extra(s) again?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I absolutely hated the talking box of the first season. The thinner, the better! It worked only 2-3 times for me and then stopped. Now it’s only a giant box!

JamesED

Second Unit
Mine didn't even work once. I thought the talking box was a joke til I saw the amount of shelf space it wastes.

SandiLand

Grip
I don't think it's a talking box. I guess there are alternative endings in 3d, which is deinitely something new

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw the review of season 2 on sitcomsonline.com . There's a section in it that I found particularly interesting:

OK, critics of syndicated cuts, pay close attention to what I am about to tell you--all of it. The episodes on this set, as well as the previous 1st Season set, are SYNDICATED cuts. They’re missing roughly 45 seconds per episode, 30 seconds of which are made up of cutting the James Earl Jones introduction. The usage of syndicated prints is NOT, I repeat, IS NOT the fault of Anchor Bay Entertainment. Carsey-Werner, for a lot of the early sets they licensed to Anchor Bay (and to another company, UrbanWorks), sent syndicated prints to the respective publishers. This caused the confusion which led to syndicated editions of A Different World Season 1, Cosby Show Season 1, Roseanne Season 1, and 3rd Rock seasons one and two. After receiving EXTENSIVE heat for Roseanne and Cosby show in particular, Carsey-Werner has agreed to give the original broadcast prints for all future releases. Unfortunately, this set (in addition to World) was too far into production to swap out the episodes. I’m one of the harsher critics of syndicated cuts in the review business, however, I implore you not to let it affect your purchase of this and other 3rd Rock sets. Only 10 to 15 seconds of content is even cut out thanks to removing the Jones intro, and what’s missing WILL be restored from season three onward. That being said, runtimes for ALL episodes are in the 21:50 range, THE runtime for syndicated prints on Carsey-Werner-leased releases.

Thought everyone would like to see this. Thankfully, seasons 3-6 will be uncut.

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
I am so relieved that 3rd Rock From The Sun-S3 will be Uncut, as will all of the other furthur season releases from Casey Werner. But I am still hoping for uncut versions of of the syndicated episode sets. I hope that they will be able to make them after the entire series have been released, or be able to swap the uncut sets with the cut sets, for the loyal consumers who actually bought the sets anyway.
-James

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
That would be quite a feat; them swapping 2 seasons worth of disks for uncut versions. I know Lucy has a couple replacement disks available, but two whole seasons worth? Sheesh, well, we'll see. Hopefully producers will get the message and never try to ship us butchered sitcoms again...!

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The much touted 3-D episode was a total sham.

They didn't shoot anything in 3-D at all, but simply tried to harness the "Pulfrich Illusion" (a depth illusion that can occur accidentally during a certain kind of camera movement) and they didn't understand how to do it. The result had no illusion of depth, with or without the glasses.

NBC must have realized this because they started backing away from advertising it in 3-D a few days before it aired. There have been a lot of attempts to use this "fake 3-D" illusion on TV, and this was one of the biggest misfires.

The moral of the story is, buy the DVD for the series itself, and not for this reason. In fact, you don't even need the glasses to look at Pulfrich stuff; squinting your eye and looking through your lashes works just as well. Or knock out one of the lenses in a cheap pair of sunglasses.

Use the 3rd Rock glasses to watch TWISTER. You'll see more accidental 3-D!

SandiLand

Grip
I'm also glad to hear that the rest of the season will be un-cut. I know Roseanne Season 2 will be un-cut, so that's a plus.

Josh_HI

Second Unit
Got mine at BB yesterday. Guess what the box does talk! I did see some s1 sets yesterday and they didn't talk so I guess the talking box with BB exclusive stuff is limited. Haven't watch any of it yet.

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
Got mine at Best Buy and my box talks too. I just put in disk 4 and here are the extras that I see on my Best Buy copy...

John Lithgow Interview
Season Two Highlights
Season Two Bloopers
Behind the Scenes - 3D Episodes
Bloopers - 3D Episodes
Best of Sally
Exclusive Bloopers
Also on DVD

My guess is that on non-Best-Buy copies, you will not see "Best of Sally" or "Exclusive Bloopers". Also, with season 1 the disc art was different for some of the discs compared to versions not bought at Best Buy. My season 2 disc 4 has a picture of Dick & Tommy with a redish planet behind them. Hope this helps.

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
My spine number on the case is the same as yours. However, my disc number is DV14094. What does your disc 4 look like? I know there was a difference in disc color between the 2 versions on season 1.

If I were you, I'd take my set back to Best Buy and complain. They should be able to do something about it. Maybe even take off a few bucks for your trouble.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Oh, lord. The box talks. Whoopee...it'll talk 5 times then break, and it takes up more space on the shelf. Yeehaw!

There is one pair of 3-D glasses enclosed. I tried it. I can't tell that ANYTHING is in 3-D. I couldn't tell anything either, in 1997 when the episode first aired. I couldn't tell when NBC released a VHS tape of this episode, along with glasses. I saw a little hair of 3-D when the camera pans around the torture chair, but that's about it. Otherwise, I've never understood the big deal over this stupid episode.

There is indeed deleted footage in this set! :frowning: I taped the whole season on VHS during their original network airings. I haven't compared everything but I do know that at the beginning of the 3-D episode, there was an introduction by French Stewart showing us how to use the 3-D glasses. This has been replaced by a brief onscreen message, which I certainly consider inferior. The Stewart intro did appear in the original airing, and does appear on the old VHS version that was sold exclusively through NBC in 1997. As for scene by scene analysis of deletions or alterations of the entire season, you're going to have to leave that to more patient fans than I. Did anyone make detailed notes of cuts from season one? Is there anything more than the James Earl Jones narration cut out? I'm talking whole scenes, here. I'd be real p.o'ed if there are any.

I'M in this set! In the late 90s, I did extra work in the movies and television. In the "Jolly Old St. Dick" episode, I'm standing in line waiting for Sally to wrap my package (lol). I'm the guy in the brown coat. God, did I have thicker hair 9 years ago. Oh well, take a look.

Adam_An

Auditioning
If it´s wanted, i can post a few runtimes from the UK-Box of season 2, as i made for season 1 in the past. Or someone can post a few NTSC-runtimes from the US-Box of S2 and i compare it with the UK ones.
Network-Videos (the distributor of the UK-discs) confirmed to me, that they used the original network versions. So i think we can make a definite compare, whats missing or not.

I can´t remember this scene, but it´s quit a long time since i watched this episode. I compare it and post the result here. :)

Cu, Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks