3rd Rock Changes to DVDs

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Joe Stuart, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Joe Stuart

Joe Stuart Auditioning

I was wondering if anyone knows what changes were made to the 3rd Rock from the Sun episodes released on DVD. I realize that the DVDs contain the syndicated versions, which were edited mostly likely for time, but what I am looking for is specifically what scenes or lines were cut out.

If anyone knows of a list of the changes, that would be very helpful.

Also, I am wondering if anyone knows if the 3rd Rock sets that were released in the UK a while back are the full versions as they originally aired, or are they also the edited versions that were shown in syndication.

Thanks for you time.

2. DanMel

DanMel Second Unit

I believe that all of the episodes have been cut down to what they show on tv.

There has already been a thread started on this just a few down from this one:

3rd Rock cut

3. Nick_TV

Nick_TV Stunt Coordinator

No one still knows whether 3rd Rock is cut or not. I've not been able to get a straight answer as to what was cut. But, here's what we do know for sure.

1. The UK release claims (on the box) that the UK version is uncut. You can see the box on amazon.co.uk . Plus, no one seems to be complaining on amazon.co.uk that the episodes are cut. So, I believe the UK version is uncut.

2. The US version running times are the same as the UK running times except that the US version has cut out the James Earl Jones intro. This was confirmed by an amazon.com reviewer who bought both.

3. Given the above, I think that the US version is uncut save for the James Earl Jones intro. Whether or not you call this "uncut" is up to you. But I can't confirm any of the actual episode missing.

4. No die-hard 3rd Rock fans seem to be able to list even 1 missing scene. Even the scene in "Dick's First Birthday" that we all thought was cut is not even on the UK release, which claims to be uncut. Given the running times, it certainly seems that the episodes on the US version is cut. But given the above information, I can't really believe that until someone is able to list a specific part that is missing. It appears that the full uncut version is short enough to not have to be cut for syndication. Who knows?

I had never seen 3rd Rock before buying this DVD release and I must say that I've enjoyed the show very much. Be sure to visit the forum thread mentioned in the previous post to follow the discussion. But I've concluded that the only thing missing from the US version is the James Earl Jones intro that was eventually dropped anyway after episode 6, 7 or 8.

4. David*W

David*W Agent

However don't forget that the PAL system used in the UK speeds up the film by 4%. So if the episodes on the UK DVDs were identical to the US then they would actually have a shorte run time than the R1.

5. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

I think these have been cut, but I have no proof. They all just seem about 30 seconds shorter than your typical TV show. I mean, we've seen a lot of TV shows on DVD at this point, and a lot that were broadcast on NBC (like 3rd Rock), and most are 22 min. I believe every 3rd Rock is just shy of 22.

6. Robert Cruz

Robert Cruz Stunt Coordinator

Comparing one episode (The Art of Dick), the DVD version is 21:45 (from what I researched...I didn't risk purchasing the DVD due to Carsey-Werner's already-"impressive" handling of their shows on DVD), while the uncut version is 22:39. You can do the math from there.

Most likely, the other episodes fall within that range (edited compared to uncut).

7. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

3rd Rock is definitely, definitely cut. Not just the James Earl Jones intros, but actual bits from the show.

This morning I compared the pilot episode on the DVD to my 9-year-old tape recorded off of NBC. There is a scene in Mary & Dick's office where Mary complains that Dick parked in her spot. On the tape she mentioned that she had to park a mile away....but she didn't say that on the DVD. Later Dick and Mary are in the bathroom at a party. On the tape Dick asks Mary to find something he has hidden on his body. On the DVD he does not, which is unfortunate, because it was pretty funny. I stopped comparing them at that point, with about 5 or 6 minutes left in the episode. I had sadly confirmed that there are meaningful edits on the DVDs. [​IMG]

8. Nick_TV

Too bad. Thanks for confirming it. I guess Carsey-Werner screws up again.

9. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Hmmm, I wouldn't call less than a minute of cuts to be disaster, but it has prompted me to go back to all my VHS tapes when it was network broadcast to compare scenes. There has been far worse syndicated edits on other shows, but to use those same cuts on DVDs is just inexcuseable.

10. Nick_TV

Complain to Anchor Bay about the cuts, they will listen. Roseanne and The Cosby Show have suffered the same syndicated fate. But, Roseanne fans have been complaining to Anchor Bay and they are looking into securing the rights to the original broadcast versions now(http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3996). It's Carsey-Werner's fault. Don't know if they will listen, but Anchor Bay is.

11. Adam_An

Adam_An Auditioning

Hello, i´m Adam from Germany and new in this community [​IMG]. So please excuse my bad english [​IMG].
    I just registered to post a few runtimes from the UK-DVDs of the Show, to clear the case a little bit up.

After i heared, that in the US the show ist cut on DVD i checked out my UK DVDs, i only put episodes which have already the short intro (without the James Earl intro):

Frozen Dick: 21m44s
    The Dicks they are A-Changin: 21m44s
    I enjoy being a Dick: 21m36s
    Dick like me: 21m47s
    Assault with a deadly Dick: 21m44s
    Father knows Dick: 21:39

Please attend, that this are the PAL-runtimes! You have to add 4%, because PAL video runs shorter then NTSC!

If the times from the "DVDTimes" Review are the NTSC runtimes, the episodes are 30-40 seconds to short, in my opinion. But somebody can post the runtimes for these episodes from the R1 US-DVDs to compare.

These two scenes are definitely on my UK-DVDs. So i think, the UK ones are uncut. The runtimes of ~21m40s (PAL version!) look good. That´s a good length for a sitcom, imo.

Hopefully my post is a little help. I can post more runtimes to compare. Perhaps somebody can post the runtimes of the R1 DVDs, so we have a good compare.

Once again sorry for my bad english. Hopefully you can understand it. [​IMG]

CU, Adam

12. David*W

David*W Agent

Well if the run time for Frozen Dick is converted to NTSC then the NTSc runtime would be 22m38s.

So I think it's safe to conclude that the UK versions are uncut and the R1 DVDs are edited.