3rd Rock Also Cut

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jaime_Weinman, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

And another possible addition to the long line of Carsey-Werner depradations: this review gives the timing for each episode on the set of season 1 of "3rd Rock From the Sun," and they're all about 21 minutes and 50 seconds. This is about a minute shorter than the length of an NBC sitcom in the mid-'90s when these episodes aired. (Check the "NewsRadio" season 1 DVDs or the "Frasier" DVDs for examples.) So I think it's more than likely that Carsey-Werner has done it again.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

3. Jaime_Weinman

But the 21 minutes 50 second timings are the same for all the episodes, not just the first six or eight (the ones that had the James Earl Jones prologue).

I probably should have put a question mark after the subject heading, though.

4. Seth Thrasher

...nevermind...

5. Jaime_Weinman

Also, I just noticed there's a new amazon.com review by someone who compared the DVDs to his tapes of the NBC broadcasts, and concluded that the DVDs are indeed the cut syndication versions.

6. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

C/W is doing the impossible...they're making Sony look less bad.

7. Joe Isham

Joe Isham Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have the R2 version to compare timings?

8. Nick_TV

Nick_TV Stunt Coordinator

The 3rd Rock 1st Season DVD set is at least partially cut for sure. On the episode summary (on the DVD menus) for "Dick's First Birthday", it mentions Tommy bringing Sally to his class for show and tell regarding female reproduction. However, this scene is never seen in the episode. So, at least this episode is cut. Since all the other episodes run about the same time, they're probably all cut.

Carsey-Werner has screwed up big time. First 3rd Rock, then Cosby, then Roseanne. All cut. I'm very dissappointed!

9. Wezzo

Wezzo Second Unit

A quick look at the R2 (well, actually R0) gives a random selection of 6 season 1 episodes an average of about 21:40. Taking into account PAL-NTSC differences, however, this is about 22:30, which sounds more accurate.

10. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor Stunt Coordinator

Wesley, are the UK DVDs cut/ syndicated prints?
    -James

11. Wezzo

Wezzo Second Unit

As far as I can tell they are uncut - they are consistent with the original UK airings, and include the extended intro - but I cannot 100% confirm this.

12. Nick_TV

If they are uncut, how can you explain the episode summary for "Dick's First Birthday" where it mentions Tommy bringing Sally to class for show and tell on female reproduction. Is it because the episode is cut on DVD (because this scene is never seen) or is it because the summary is wrong? Can anyone confirm or deny?

13. Eric James

Eric James Agent

Anyone else notice that in the booklet the summary for Father Knows Dick is completly wrong.

14. David*W

David*W Agent

Could anyone compare the actual running times for each episode for the R1 and the UK releases? Also could anyone with the UK DVD check to see if the scene with Tommy and Sally is there in "Dick's First Birthday" on the UK copy?

If the UK DVDs are unedited the Anchor Bay's official word on the matter, being that is Carsey Werner is to blame is a lie. Anchor Bay says that Carsey Werner only made the syndication prints available, yet if they have been released unedited elsewhere the Carsey Werner must be willing to make them available and Anchor Bay are liars!

15. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The availability of the network and syndicated prints may vary based on country. US syndication deals may not have any bearing on a DVD release in another country so AB could have had access to network versions in another region. In other words, Anchor Bay may not be liars! [​IMG]

16. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

Your logic is faulty. Just because Carsey Werner is willing to release uncut versions to another region doesn't mean they're willing to do it in region one. Syndication contracts can be very messy things.

Just ask anyone who is waiting for JAG on DVD.

17. David*W

David*W Agent

Since I don't have 15 posts I can't post a URL, but if you go to Amazon.co.uk and search for 3rd Rock and click on the cover art, each dvd has a bubble in which it says UNCUT! Now of course they could be lying on the packaging!

18. Robert Cruz

Robert Cruz Stunt Coordinator

19. Nick_TV

Let's see if we can sum this up.

An Amazon.com reviewer says, "...I dug through boxes to find my VHS copies of the first season and sure enough, the episodes on the DVD set are the syndicated versions...which means anywhere from 2 to 4 minutes are trimmed per episode." But, he doesn't mention what's cut. It's probably the James Earl Jones intro we all know is on the UK version but not the US one.

Here's a review from another Amazon.com review who says, "I just got season 1 US version and the UK release of 3rd Rock.Now I never watched the show when it orginaly aired so I would not know what is cut and what's not.I do know the episode length in both US version and UK match almost,the only thing the UK version had and the US version didnt was The James Earl Jones introduction of each episode.I did notice in the episode information of Dick's First Birthday that Tommy brings Sally to health class,well that scene is nowhere to be found in both US and UK versions of that episode.The UK version states that 3rd Rock is uncut,well I dont think so! The picture quality of the US release is far superier.I'm very impressed with picture quality,it's just a shame that the episodes are edited.I'm realy getting tired of TV shows not being released in there true uncut form.And the UK fans are being lied to with there 3rd Rock release with uncut being labeled right on the box.Well I give this set 4 stars for great picture quality!If the episodes was uncut I would of gave it 5!"

As a post mentioned above, the UK box states that the UK versions are uncut. And, I cannot find a single review on amazon.co.uk mentioning that the episodes in any of the 6 seasons released on DVD have episode cuts. Can we assume that (1) the episode summary of "Dick's First Birthday" is wrong and (2) the mention of "uncut" episodes on the UK box is in fact true? I searched the net for a summary for "Dick's First Birthday" mentioning the part about Tommy bringing Sally to class for show-and-tell on female reproduction. I could not find it on any site. The DVD summary is the only one to have that line. Since the episode summary for "Father Knows Dick" was completely wrong (as pointed out above), perhaps "Dick's First Birthday" is too. Perhaps the "missing" scene was being considered but ended up being cut by the producers before the original broadcast. Perhaps the episode summary on the DVD is an old one made before the network cut.

No one seems to be able to provide a specific scene that was "cut" from the US versions. Is it possible that 3rd Rock is NOT cut (save for the James Earl Jones intro)? Can anyone provide a specific scene that was "cut"?

20. KeithJP

KeithJP Extra

Dick's First Birthday: Is that the episode where the Coach is the one teaching the boys about sex ed and Tommy says something like, "Can't we at least get someone who's had sex (to teach it)?" Then there's a part where Sally's in front of the class and is asked to explain how to unhook a bra, or something bra related, and then the scene ends. Is that the scene in question? If it's not from that episode, maybe the person who wrote the blurbs made another mistake and thought it was.
    Also, that Amazon review seems a bit sketchy. Most people who go through the trouble of getting PAL discs and NTSC discs know, and mention, the different run times, do the calculations and post the results.