What's new

3rd Grade Science Project coming up, Simple Machines (1 Viewer)

Mike V

Stunt Coordinator
I love these Science Fair things:rolleyes:
We need to "invent" a simple machine using at least one of these: Lever, Pulley or Inclined Plane. The product must be useful and make a job easier. Size does not matter.
Anyone care to contribute any ideas? Or links.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
How about a lever that can safely pry DVDs from any type of spindle? I'd buy that for a dollar!

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Not a lot of takers here. I would think at least Jack would have a suggestion for how to lever your 3rd grader into a star child. :) I personally try to block out the Science project days...not that I don't believe in them...but it often becomes the parents 'job'.
Also sometimes when a child has a 'good' idea to follow. The 'rules' do not permit.
One we did in a timecrunch panic, 2 hermit crabs set on an obstacle course to race with predictions and results. It won a first...only because my son grudgingly documented that the 'results' were contrary to what he had predicted for the outcome. I had to do some fast talking on that one...he wanted to manipulate the results till he 'got' his predication. I had trouble explaining to him the the whole point of 'experimentation' was to set up a trial run and document regardless result...then explain where you went wrong and what affected your predicted expectations.
The other was when we were driving along a few weeks out from science fair deadline, with no choice settled. And my son asked. 'Mom, why can birds sit on power lines but people can't touch them?". I said bingo! Thats your 'project' - to find out 'why'. He went to district with that one.
I asked,...he was in a hurry but suggested something using a lever/pulley/or plane to facilitate 'cleaning your room'...might have been on his mind since he has to do his. :)

Mike V

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. We've narrowed it down to a couple of ideas, still working on it though.
Bob, if I could invent that I would make a million here at the HTF alone! Hmm....
Mary, I can't wait to "block out" these days:D

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
No specifics here, but you might consider a catapult or trebuchet. Since there is no size restriction, you could set it up in the parking lot and throw maybe a 500 lb rock into the principal's offi.....

Well, maybe that's going a bit too far.

Good luck with the project!!

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks