1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

3rd Grade Science Project coming up, Simple Machines

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike V, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Mike V

Mike V Stunt Coordinator

I love these Science Fair things[​IMG]
    We need to "invent" a simple machine using at least one of these: Lever, Pulley or Inclined Plane. The product must be useful and make a job easier. Size does not matter.
    Anyone care to contribute any ideas? Or links.

2. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    How about a lever that can safely pry DVDs from any type of spindle? I'd buy that for a dollar!

3. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Not a lot of takers here. I would think at least Jack would have a suggestion for how to lever your 3rd grader into a star child. [​IMG] I personally try to block out the Science project days...not that I don't believe in them...but it often becomes the parents 'job'.
    Also sometimes when a child has a 'good' idea to follow. The 'rules' do not permit.
    One we did in a timecrunch panic, 2 hermit crabs set on an obstacle course to race with predictions and results. It won a first...only because my son grudgingly documented that the 'results' were contrary to what he had predicted for the outcome. I had to do some fast talking on that one...he wanted to manipulate the results till he 'got' his predication. I had trouble explaining to him the the whole point of 'experimentation' was to set up a trial run and document regardless result...then explain where you went wrong and what affected your predicted expectations.
    The other was when we were driving along a few weeks out from science fair deadline, with no choice settled. And my son asked. 'Mom, why can birds sit on power lines but people can't touch them?". I said bingo! Thats your 'project' - to find out 'why'. He went to district with that one.
    I asked,...he was in a hurry but suggested something using a lever/pulley/or plane to facilitate 'cleaning your room'...might have been on his mind since he has to do his. [​IMG]

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

5. Mike V

Mike V Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. We've narrowed it down to a couple of ideas, still working on it though.
    Bob, if I could invent that I would make a million here at the HTF alone! Hmm....
    Mary, I can't wait to "block out" these days[​IMG]

6. Paul Bond

Paul Bond Stunt Coordinator

No specifics here, but you might consider a catapult or trebuchet. Since there is no size restriction, you could set it up in the parking lot and throw maybe a 500 lb rock into the principal's offi.....

Well, maybe that's going a bit too far.

Good luck with the project!!

Paul

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor