3rd Component Input

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Todd Henry, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

I am trying to decide the value of getting a receiver with 3 component inputs. I do have 3 components that use component video (HDTV, DVD, XBox). However, I have enough inputs on my TV if I didn't want to have the receiver do the video switching.

However, if I run all 3 components through the receiver into the 1 input on the TV then I can't do Picture-in-Picture with those inputs, right? If the receiver does Component conversion and I hook up another component via S-Video (old DirecTivo) to the receiver the component out to the TV would control the picture and I would not be able to use PIP either for that input too.

Also, I won't be able to listen to the TV sound when playing the X-Box which I do sometimes without a second set of speakers.

What other benefits of running all 3 components through the receiver am I missing?

Thanks
    Todd

2. John S

John S Producer

Very few displays allow picture in picture for HD sources by the way.

3. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

My Sony lets me show the HD Receiver plus the SD Directivo with PIP.

Todd

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My Sony lets me PIP anything hooked up too.

Since you have enough inptus, I don't see any benefit at all, of running everything through the receiver. The ONLY difference is that video and audio are both selected at the same time, and that isn't a gain if you lose PIP. IMO, I wouldn't bother using a higher level connection for game systems unless it was also being used for DVDs anyway. S-vid and component have the same basic resolution, though color will be better via component.